1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working with ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by MissHoney232, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Hi all,

I was diagnosed with ME/CFS last summer term after having the most horrendous year last year which ultimately led to me pushing myself far to hard and left me bed-ridden for 2 months (including most of the summer). I'm now back at school and working full time as an Early Years Teacher. My head has recently referred me to occupational health and I have my appointment in 2 weeks. I'm really struggling and go to bed as soon as I get in from school. I then spend pretty much all my weekend in bed recovering. Since starting back in Sept I have had 5 days off school- for which I feel terribly guilty for. I have also gone in on several days where I should have stayed in bed. Last week I ended up crashing into my Mum's car as I was so so tired. I caused almost £1k's worth of damage.

I just wanted to know if anyone has any advice for me. I'm finding each day a huge struggle and I'm wishinf the days away just for it to be weekend so I can rest.

2. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

I am sorry to hear that you are so tired. You are to be commended for trying to work a full timetable, but it's obviously not sustainable in the long term without damage to your health. I can only recommend a reduction in hours.

Every time you turn up for work in the morning you are declaring that you are fit to work that day, which is all well and good, but the price you are having to pay afterwards is too high.

You take care of yourself, chick, because nobody else will.

3. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Get your thyroid checked.

If they say its normal, question it. The medical profession's definition of normal encompasses a very wide range. Take someone with you to the doctor's if possible as you won't have the energy to stand your ground.

I was told I had post viral fatigue for more than two years but it turned out to be my thyroid.

4. Had my thyroid checked as that's what we initially thought it was. Had a full health check. Been off school all of this week and signed off til next Monday. My occupational health appointment is next Wed. I don't know what the answer is- I really don't!

5. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

Please do as I say.

I have been there and it will save you months or years of poor health.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Been there done that etc. I am sorry to say that the only thing that really worked for me was to go part time. I have worked part time now for 15 years and it has been the only way. Lucky I had a hubb who worked and we made sure our mortgage was smallish, so we just managed financially. But it was the best decision I ever made. I still get very tired at times, usually when its stressfull as well, but its been so much better. Have you explored the possibility of reducing hours?

Teaching is a very tough job to do with ME, and especially early years.

God luck with the OH, I found they were great when I had to use them earlier this year.

7. I can understand how you feel as I have Cancer related fatigue following treatment for breast cancer 2 years ago. I knew I wasn't well about a month before I accepted it and ended up with 6 months off. I only do 1.5 days now and can cope with that and I am very lucky to have the support of a fatigue clinic. It is worth finding out if there is one near you, if not try reading this book

www.amazon.co.uk/.../1905140282

I now recognise my symptoms - sore throat, aching, lack of concentration, sleep disruption - and can take action when they get worse. Meditation really helps, swimming, walking. It is really tough though.