1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working with an unbalanced colleague

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by MillyBailey, Jul 16, 2011.

1. MillyBailey

MillyBailey New commenter

A colleague has serious mental health issues. He has needed a lot of time off and is displaying exaggerated symptoms.
    Management are aware of the problems but it is very slow to resolve on going issues. I do not want to work with him, What can be done.?
    Cant be too specific on an open forum. Has any one had a similar experience? How do you get rid of someone who is ill? Or do you and the students just have to put up with it.

These issues have gone on for about 10 years, but are currently at a crisis point.

2. I have been in this situation. There are certain mental health conditions which exclude people from becoming or remaining a teacher. It should not be slow to resolve issues if the safety of the students is an issue. If the teacher has a diagnosis or is being treated for one of those conditions (i.e. schizophrenia or bipolor are examples) then things should not move slowly at all! They will need to be signed off asap.

Depending on the severity of the mental illness and the crisis point you refer to, it would be wise to go talk to the head or a member of senior management you trust and see if you can get the ball rolling for this colleague to get the support they require or indeed be signed off so that they can recover or pursue a more suitable career if they are indeed experiencing a condition the teaching profession does not allow. Better this is handled discreetly in house before parents start complaining and the issue escalates.