1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working with a poor teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lemondrizzlecake, Mar 7, 2011.

1. I'm after some advice.

The teacher I work with most of the time (primary) is excellent and the children are usually really well behaved. The same children, mixed with others from other classes (again, usually all pretty well behaved) turn into really awful children in maths sets. It's a low ability set.

I want to support the maths teacher as well as I can, but the lessons are boring, lack sufficient explanation and she does little to consistently try and improve behaviour.

When the head of year covered the class, and to a lesser extent when I have, the behaviour and learning has been much better (as was the whole quality of lesson delivered by the HoY).

I have tried making some suggestions and making a few resources that I thought might make learning more fun, I've talked to other teachers to ask them to encourage the maths teacher, I've tried working positively with several of the worst children to try and improve behaviour - but frankly I'm bored by the lessons too... so now I'm wondering what other TAs have done in similar situations. I know I can't be the only one disheartened by the attitude of a teacher that I'm working with.

2. Do we work at the same school? I know exactly how you feel. I will post a reply tomorrow, If I post tonight, I may regret it in the morning. [​IMG]

3. historygrump

historygrump Occasional commenter Forum guide

It is not right that you go behind the teachers back and talk to other teachers about this teachers performance, after all you are there as an assistant. If you you think you can do better, which you suggest, please enrol on a pgce course. I accept that the teacher may be failing to motivate the children to learn, but it is up to the HT and the schools SMT to identify this issue through the observation of the teachers lessons, which a HT should do at least once a year.

4. cupofteacher

cupofteacher New commenter

I agree, I would feel very undermined if a TA did that to me, however prior to teaching I worked as a TA so I understand how frustrating it can be. If I were you I would grin and bear it. I expect the teacher is fully aware of what is happening, and if you continue your support to this teacher, they may in time turn to you and ask for your opinion.