1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working walls

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Livvie, Nov 13, 2007.

1. We are using workings walls successfully in KS2. However many KS1 teachers are stuck on what to do - they argue that it is very difficult to maintain and manage if children cannot read. Has anyone got any good ideas? What do you do?
    Thank you.

2. We are using workings walls successfully in KS2. However many KS1 teachers are stuck on what to do - they argue that it is very difficult to maintain and manage if children cannot read. Has anyone got any good ideas? What do you do?
    Thank you.

3. I am of the opininon that most class displays are NOT for the benefit of children - but to impress other adults.

How many times can you honestly say that children actually look at displays after they have been put up?

4. I suspect this is because KS1 staff are more likely to like traditional display.
    How to develop working walls for younger pupils- use lots of colour eg word lists have upt 5 or 10 numbered words in a colour then next 5-10 numbered in another colour helps direct kids to what word without them having to get out of desks.
    Story paths for planning with picture and words along it etc

5. In my mind there are two types of walls in a school: Working walls and display.

I have working walls in the classroom and display outside the classroom in the corridors. The working walls are looked at and used all the time by the children, they are not for adults.

The displays outside the classroom are for the finished articles. This is where the double mounting appears!

As for KS1, key words are put up. Good work that is simply annotated by the teacher and refered to during lessons. Photos are also used by our foundation stage teachers. It is more difficult in KS1 than KS2 though.

6. Thank you for your help.

7. I used my working wall all the time in my mixed year1/2 class and the children found them very helpful. Any work that we did as a class, any guided writing, wordbanks with wow words for that genre. Examples of good work, connectives, class story plans etc were all put on there. I think that its a good way to display all the work that goes into the finished article. The children used them all the time. Plus if you are not very arty it's a great way to fill a space!

C

8. In KS1 we have; this weeks 'wow' words, this weeks sounds, this weeks tricky words,objective, and steps to sucess in the unit being taught.We also have **********'s 'helping hands' and 'reading strategies'.

9. It would be helpful if people could share some photos of quality working wall displays.

I would love to see some - i am a visual learner.

10. some walls to work on would be nice :) I have a mobile with windows and an IWB across the front of the room and oh lots of doors, hey ho!!

11. One of my school's targets is for every class to have a working wall. I have a year one class. Half of them don't even know all their letter sounds yet, so writing a bunch of words on the wall is pointless. I like to use the IWB for recording words etc (because it is in a central place when working and the children like to use it) but I end up having to reproduce words etc. for the 'wall' (which is inaccessible to work at)which doubles the work.

I can see the benefit for key stage 2 and have seen it work successfully, but I'm still stuck for ideas for my class. I've put ********** signs, mind maps and targets up but that's about it. I think the idea of putting different coloured words and numbers is good - I'll try this next time.

However I really would welcome more ideas.

12. I have used a working wall in my KS1 class but my problem is keeping it up to date - it's a full time job just keeping up with planning, preparation and assessment without any TA support and the photocopier's in another building so use my w/b instead

13. woking walls dont work with children who are autistic or ADHD- they need calm in which to think and process IWB are a nigthmare for children in my class with head aches visual impairments and ADHD

Lets aal be calm and have interest tables instead.

14. In my ks1 class we have 'working windows' (due to more windows than walls). One for Literacy with guided writing, key words, tricky words and prompt pictures etc up; one for maths, with functions, ood examples of work, example number sentences and a couple of questions; and a topic one with images, questions to prompt thought and key words. My job-share and I change what is on them everyday. We do it in the lessons themselves and the whole thing is fluid. We are not interested in it being asthetically pleasing, rather a funtional place that can be used.

I think the key is constant change and relevance. Only then will children appreciate its worth and use it. Otherwise it is just pointless!

15. Poppychick

Poppychick New commenter

I have a Literacy working wall which has a collection of 'wow' words that we add to - it's like a wall with words on bricks and children's names under them. We have a 'wow' sentence tree which works in a similar way.

I display the helping hand created by Opera Diva I think which has prompts for checking sentences on it.

After Xmas I will add my success criteria poster which I have called "Successful Spider" (thanks madame fifi) - we add the success criteria for each new genre taught so it can be referred to.

During our unit on Information writing i also added some useful questions to prompt them in independent work.

I would like to add letter formatino maybe and hf word weekly focus but not got lots of space.

i also have the spelling poster for the long vowel phonemes i have taught.

i teach y1.

16. hi

could you explain what the "Successful Spider" (thanks madame fifi) is sounds like fun, I want to set up a working wall in my miixed year 1/2 class any ideas please?

Thanks

17. I have some things that stay up - phonics,shapes, numbers, etc (brightly coloured) and then some things that change. For instuctions, we had a list of things that made good instructions, a copy of one that I had modelled to the children and then we put up 2 that children had done very well. My class are in a deprived area and so I kept refering to them and re-reading them. My class do like it. i put the traditional displays in the corridor. I have one board that is accululative work for non-core subjects, but I put useful words around it and eg the list that the children make at the beginning of a topic about what they want to learn. Useful e-mail addresses are displayed on a big wool web with a globe that I made into a spider. Maths changes according to the unit - for measures, I put up the vocab and the class brought packets and labels for homework and I used some of these. Sorry -this has turned into an essay!I hated Working walls but had to do them for performance management (ISP targets) and I have found they work as long as you keep refering to them and re-reading stuff.
    PS Would also like more ideas!