1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working wall

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bumble-bee89, Jul 27, 2011.

1. Hi I'm just about to start my NQT year in year 1 and I would like to use a working wall in my classroom.

I understand that they should be referred to for learning, however, I'm a bit unsure about them.
    How do they differ to a normal display?
    Can anyone give me an example of what they have included on a working wall (preferably ks1)

Thanks x

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Depends entirely on what we're working on!
    My working wall is really an extension of my whiteboard. Anything I write up to support the children's learning goes onto the working wall, so for example vocabulary we might need, planning sheets for writing, worked examples for maths etc I also add examples of children's work from the session with a brief note about what I like about it. I add to the wall during the week so the children can see the steps we have gone through to reach the point we are at. None of it is "neat" work, it is torn from the flipchart and pinned up as it is. I have a "by the end of the week we will be able to........" section too.

3. You don't need to have neatly cut out or laminated things up on a working wall. In fact, it doesn't need to be neat at all, just clear and presentable. Think of it like this, what will help your children in the week's lessons? Let's say you are looking at traditional tales, you might have a mind-map which the children are building up about what makes a good traditional tale. You might have key words and phrases up there such as 'Once upon a time' and 'They lived happily ever after'. You might have pictures of good characters one one side and bad characters on another. They might be things you've used in your class input and which they children can add to the Working Wall themselves.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now that is a nice idea...I'm going to steal that! Thank you ;)

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You're welcome!

6. Nice one here: http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/literacy/index.php?category_id=14 where it says Book Board. You could laminate the sections that you are going to permanently leave up to make them durable and so you can write directly on them with a whiteboard pen. I'm going to cover my entire board in sticky back plastic to make it permanent.

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ooooo peskyKat, love that Book Board. We are teaching literacy via whole books next term, so could easily have that sort of display up in year 2. Might even suggest we have it in the corridor as a joint display from both classes. Looks great and easily added to over the unit...