1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Wall: Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Surely those multi-cueing reading strategies have not been totally discredited by recent research? I entirely agree that synthetic phonics are the way to go overall, but the old cliche about babies and bathwater applies. For example, I find that children sometimes do need to re-read or read the rest of a sentence for context cues. Not instead of using phonic knowledge, but as well as.

2. I like some points of the working wall, others not so much. As teachers we tend to do these things without really thinking. I'm sure mostdisplays in most teachers classrooms were some form of working wall before this fancy initative came along.
    Of course maybe working walls would be easier in our school if you didnt have to put a photocopying request form for any work you want to include and then wait 5 days for it to be signed by the assistant head and then the head and finally be photocopied.

3. I love you nick 909 your comment made me laugh out loud and I shall keep it in my heart when planning

4. i'm looking forward to the TV interview on A level results day...
    reporter - to what do you owe your success, your 74 A stars? Was it a charismatic teacher who guided your learning and personalised it just for you?
    Student - no it was the working wall in my year 1 class!

5. WALOW (What a load of ***).
    This term we've been told we have to have a working wall up. I've adopted this very half heartedly mainly because IMO it's a complete hassle. Some things work for some people, some don't.

6. I have a major problem!
    1. the only bopards i could use as working walls - if i had any desire to do so - are over built in cupboards and work tops. As i am not very tall i can't reach without climbing.
    2. We are not allowed to climb because of 'elf and saftey' therefore i can't use my working wall.
    Oh dear. what a shame.

7. Whereas in our school we've just been told that this is precisely what a working wall isn't and we will be given training on it after half term. Something about it should all be to do with the school's curricular target, and all about that, and not about what we are doing in lessons really, but seeing as all lessons should be focused towards the school target anyway (eg, percentages - what?!!), it would be sort of, um, er....(SMT didn't really seem to know what a working wall was anymore - but definately, certainly, completely not what we had been doing, which is what people here are describing [​IMG] )
    I'm in the WALOW and TENCS camp - plonking stuff we've generated in lessons to show good examples as we go, that's worked to various degrees (although the fact that this usually means its a) too small for most kids to read from where they sit and b) they hardly ever bleeding use it anyway, as it's not right in front of their faces) and doesn't take a couple of mins to pin up (apart from you're not allowed to use pins anymore incase one falls off and a child steps on it and it results in them having their leg amputate many months later...), but doing it for the sake of it - blurgh.
    I love the examples in the first post (the link) the pictures with 'We are learning to....." on them, all then have a massive gap underneath this statement - kinda sums up some WWs methinks (and the positive affirmations? Really? I thought 'we are all really stupid in this class"was actually the way to go, but now you've pointed it out......[​IMG]

8. Is it not simpler to use a visualiser on a IWB to show the good features of a child's work and engage the classroom to share ideas on how to improve it still?

9. We've been encouraged also, but I've found it a bit of a hassle as well. Yes I might not be doing it right, but I find it far easier to just have all the connective, sentence openers etc scattered here and there around the room (rather than all on one display), and put up really good pieces of writing the children may have done as the outcome of the last unit, or whatever, on my literacy wall.

Then again, I think it's beneficial for children to understand and remember the journey they made to complete a good piece of work.

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

All this working wall guff reminds me of years ago when the NC was ushered in,then we had to keep loads of children's work,,,share that work with out to children in the class and they had to evaluate it as a way of raising their own standards. It got junked along with all the assessments that no one ever read.i remember in a school i was in we filled a skip with all the children's work ..some which had never been looked at for over 3 years...3 years of P/C and recoding dumped.

As a supply i see a variety of class rooms and rarely working walls.However, Some are effective in that they look good......but useless to a supply as often you do not know what as gone on before.

Lots of classes have no workable display space unless i paste it on the IWB( assuming they have left the laptop or code for the computer) Usually desks are up against the wall and so the display is not 'see able' by all .Cupboards abound of built in furniture and the one whiteboard,if there is one, is on a different wall and so high up even I can not reach the top part of it.or so small its an A1 sized easel....with no paper free on it. Sugar paper you declare.yeah .in a strange school with none in the classroom.....tut tut cant use that is a counted resource! comes back the comment..........so stick it notes?,,,erm small ,only sort....get the kids to write on them...erm they are year 1 miss!

I am not against working walls...useful for mind mapping and starter work or story and plays etc.....but each to their own......I would much sooner have the children sparked off in creative ways and supply the word technology they can access.

11. noonan123

noonan123 New commenter

I do not like them to be honest, I have got one, but it is only because the current ht is a huge fan of them, but she is leaving at the end of this year and the deputy (soon to be head) has said she will leave it to the class teachers if they want one.

I am currently in Year 4 and have one, try to use it, but to be honest, they are a waste of space in my classroom anyway, my classroom is already small, and personally I like my displays to be connectives and more fun etc. I am moving to year 2 next year and will certainly not have a working wall, I will put childrens work on the wall but not in the form of a working wall. I much prefer motivational displays, and connectives, tricky word tree, and things like that in my classroom.