1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Wall: Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

sigh
    The very thought of discussing "Narrative Therapy" with anyone, not least 5 and 6 year old children, is far too depressing to even contemplate.
    What the hell have we become?

2. Perhaps we have very different views of it!

3. ... and I thought teachers weren't supposed to do photocopying and pinning up displays ... or am I now really out of date?

4. It's not a display if it's a working wall - so I was told by SMT a while back. it's 'part of your teaching resources'

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

If it's part of your teaching resources then you as a professional should be deciding if and when it's appropriate to use it...not SMT.

6. 'what the heck is Philosophy for Children and Building Learning Power) I am guessing we can do without'
    Good teachers have always done the above - teach children to think & question! Nothing is ever new in education - just recycled with new names.

7. I agree with this post - that's what I do. For the literacy one I whack relevant bits up off a flipchart (cut it out with a quick thought bubble drawn round it, if I have time); photocopy pages off the interactive whiteboard, but p/c'd up to A3 size as they're only A4 which is too small for the kids to see; do this too with pieces of kids' work for discussion or as a good example; put up a snazzy title and some starter vocab, pictures, etc.at the start of a unit (well OK, near the start...); Top Tips such as 'How to be a good response partner' etc.
    The maths one is actually an ordinary whiteboard (very useful) where I stick up an example of the main thing learned that day and it stays there for the duration of the unit or until we run out of space. It's a rolling reminder of recent stuff. Write up what a child suggests as a solution or whatever, as it happens. Oh and round the edges I've got some good question and statement starters that we got from a maths adviser. You know, 'how can you prove it?' 'I think this ... because...' 'I like to do them like this...' etc.

8. PS - Oh, and always Blu-tak, never staples!!

9. Oh for goodness sake!!! If it goes up on a wall, it's a display.
    Agree with you again on this, WolfPaul. I don't use a working wall. I tried it, and found that the children didn't bother to use it/refer to it. So I stopped. I've put up some of the children's work in that space now, and they really enjoy that - and bring their parents in after school to show them, which they never did for my scribbled post-its and printouts from the IWB....

10. and then a pile of paperwork required for each new thing to justify it! [​IMG]

11. Bing Bong - further to earlier posts - soem working walls are largely if not exlcusively made up of the children's work . Just because someone tells you a working wall is one thing (teacher's input/success criteria ad infinitum, tick list, tick list, tick list) doesn't mean you can't say "why thank you outwardly friendly advisor, thanks for the input but not quite what me and the kiddiwinks are looking for, think I'll take this bit of what you're banging on about it and then do the rest my/our way. Byeee , hope the spending cuts aren't to rough on you. x "

12. unforgiveable typos - damn you shiraz - I really am thoroughly ashamed.

13. They look ugly. I have nice art displays and stick bits and bobs on the window to tick the box.

14. Whatever happened to we all do things differently? No, strike that. Whatever happened to recognising that all children learn in different ways?

Working walls work for some teachers and don't for others. Same for the children.

I have used them effectively with some classes and others have completely not responded so I stopped doing it with that class. Isn't it all part of being a reflective practitioner to see what works for you and your children?

15. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I swear to god that if I were told that I HAD to use working walls I would be looking for a new job. I can see, in some of those examples, that some teachers might find them useful but they certainly don't do it for me.

16. I'm really into the important role that using the wall displays for teaching and learning can play.
    As an aside, I wasn't too impressed to see a wall used for promoting the range of multi-cueing reading strategies which research has discredited.
    It just shows there is a disconnect between leading-edge practice and what goes on in many of the schools themselves.

17. WolfPaul

Although I presume at some point this was "leading-edge practice"?

18. LOL! It was prescribed practice - but never leading-edge or evidence-based!
    Note that I did not call upon the circumstances that the government accepted the recommendations of a change in reading instruction model following the House of Common inquiry and the following independent national review by Rose and his team - because the government also continued to support and promote the multi-cueing strategies of various intervention programmes.
    So, my comment really was meant as an observation that no matter what the conclusions of high level inquiries and findings in the classroom, it is still pot luck as to what the schools themselves do in terms of their practices.
    Anyway, my apologies - I did not intend to distract from the overarching theme of working walls.
    I can understand, also, how teachers feel indignant of being told what to do after so many years of being dictated to.
    I do think there is a huge role for the working wall.

19. WolfPaul

This well outside my area, so I'll take your word for it, but find the whole notion of "leading-edge" quite fascinating. Can you define it for me?