1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Wall: Is it just me?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ShadowMan, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Anywhere where ideas count for more than ticking off the targets. That should only be a small part of a working wall if you ask me. Ideas and experiments with words should dominate.

2. s1oux

s1oux New commenter

They love it! (no, really...)
    I'm sorry if it sounds tedious but I pared down my description to make it as clear as possible.
    In a nut shell: Your literacy lessons build on one another more visually for the children; less is forgotten; levels improve and the lower abiilty children can use it as a crutch until they really grasp it.

3. Jen g

Jen g New commenter

Yes glider, apologies, your interpretation looks quite manageable and makes sense. I was more referring to the one shown on the link above and others who have commented on sticking stuff up and changing it every day. The stuff that's on that link is, clearly, mostly stuff that the teacher has prepared. That, surely, is ridiculous

I do not change mine completey every day but yes I do add to them with the contributions from the class. By the end of the unit they do look untidy but the are very useful for the children in my class and for me and for th eTA's that work in the class. They have worked for children I have taught in year and in my current year group Year 2. I also change them as I need to it may be after a 2 week literacy unit because i do not tend to teach literacy unit to year 2 children for 4 weeks or sooner if it is for the numeracy.
    I find the numeracy ones fine as I put up the vocabulary the children need and examples of calculations/ place value/ shape etc that we have looked at previously.
    My working walls are not all preprepared but added to with VALUABLE contributions by the children. I agree to only put up my work would be a waste of time.
    Yes I still have a life and to tell you the truth it is somewhere to put the papers i have used foe demonstrating rather than straight in the bin.

4. We have to have Literacy working walls in each of our classrooms. I have used these with varying success- in Year 4 when i was able to keep on top of it, I must admit it was quite useful. However not always that easy to keep up. In year 1, especially at this point in the term: USELESS. I saw ONE girl across the whole year group referring to it (G&T) and my LSA was delighted with another girls' work until I pointed out that she had simply copied the key words for the story off the post-its on the working wall. Had the girl been there at the time I'd have asked her to re read her work to me and she wouldn't have had a clue. Again: USELESS.

5. WolfPaul

WolfPaul Occasional commenter

All of this can be achieved without a wall. Moreover, I actually see no evidence that the wall helps the children jump through the tick-box hoops indepently, anyway.
    The idea of workling walls is yet another of the many initiatives which we'll all be smiling about in a few years' time, saying, "Remember those walls we used to do?" Some of us are smiling already! [​IMG]

6. blooming hell - this all seems overcomplicated -if you happen to produce something good in a literacy lesson, don't whack it in the recycling, pop it up for a few days and let the children really absorb it.
    Nowt to do with tick boxes so far as I am concerned..

7. When our school first introduced the idea of working walls as a requirement in each classroom I thought too felt like it was another hoop jumping exercise. However, I think that as with most of these initiatives, you have to find a way for it to work for you and your children. I work in year one and have Literacy and Numeracy working walls. We use them to display new vocabulary linked to a unit of work, to celebrate children's work and to offer tools to help children to be independent in their maths/ writing. My children refer to them dailyand I manage it so it's not onerous; most of the displayed work accumulates naturally. Moaning about it is unproductive, seeking ideas and guidance and making the working wall work for you and your class is.

8. Cannot put it better myself and I think it's great that you've made it work for you in year 1.
    It's all well and good folding your arms and sucking on a sherbert lemon whenever there is a whiff of an "initiative" (and I do instinctively react like that when there is genuine BS polluting the room at an inset or CPD event ) but not to make the mental and creative effort to take the germs of some of the best ideas and make them workable and worthwhile seems self-defeating to me.

9. WolfPaul

This is indicative of the main problem with working walls. In common with many other initiatives, it has become in many schools a "requirement". Many primary schools have so many of these requirements that teachers are reduced to clone-like automatons, blindly following the decrees of their senior management, who in turn have this rather touching (but niaive) view that somehow this formulaic approach to teaching will get good results.
    In reality, the outcome is being sacrificed for the process, which is measured by ticking boxes. Learning intention/objective? Tick. Success criteria? Tick. Learning walls? Tick. WALT? Tick. WILF? Tick. Target cards? Tick. AfL? Tick. Building Learning Power? Tick. Philosophy for Children? Tick. Partner talk? Tick. Wow words? Tick. Tick, tick, tick. All the boxes are ticked, all the "requirements" met. Must be a good lesson then.
    Where has the professionalism gone?

10. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You could have taken the words out of my mouth, WolfPaul!

11. First paragraph - coulnd't agree more - wasn't forced, chose to develop my own but if someone tried to make me put up a numeracy version, I'd be less than thrilled. Setting aside the issue of whether it is imposed or not, mine has yielded some really good results and, in a school where the marking policy is far more of an issue for me, has actually reduced my workload when it comes to marking final outcomes in English.
    That second paragraph though - all it really proves is that there are a lot of jargon happy advisors/heads etc out there - they either boil down to the same thing (LO and SC are same as WALT and WILF aren't they?), most of them would be done as a matter of course without intervention from on high (AFL, partner talk) - and those that aren't (what the heck is Philosophy for Children and Building Learning Power) I am guessing we can do without.

12. OK smartarse tell me how to make it work in year 1 then?

13. I use my working wall all the time in Year 1. I only have one, and everything is blue-tacked so it comes off easily. It isn't too big either, and has a display space underneath. This week it was a numeracy wall on measuring - title using re-usable laminated display letters, children's homework (draw round the feet of everyone in your house and put in order of size), examples of work in lessons, both written and practical, photocopied whiteboard recording, A4 posters with measuring opposites on, and on the display table some non standard measuring units (straws, cubes etc) and things to measure, rulers, tape measures.

Nothing onerous - just grabbed things from maths cupboard, reused posters from last year, added other bits as we did them in lessons. Children use the wall all week to refer to and use it in activity time.

Next week it will be a literacy wall - it has Narrative Therapy posters on (who, when, where, what happened, the end) and is awaiting work to be added during the week, wow words as we think of them, story plans etc. I will put pictures from the story on the display for sequencing. This wall is the most frequently looked at in my room, and no matter how beautiful my other displays, the children still like the working wall the best.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Someone please wake me up...

Apart from anything:
    YEAR 1?
    Are you serious?

15. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

More productive still is making better use of your time than making an amazingly time-consuming display, upon which no evidence has yet been sourced with regards to its benefits

16. Absolutely serious. It's very effective.

17. WolfPaul

I find it quite amazing how often many primary teachers seem to confuse things that the children like with things that are effective.

18. I'm off. Barely come on here nowadays (ever since keyboard tapper, and her cheeky sparkle, abanodoned me) but this caught my eye - a thing that might be called a working wall works bloody well for me (not just SATs but children genuinely tunring around attitude towards writing) and I thought I'd add a wee recommendation.
    Didn't know there was so much silly stuff (what's with new agey references) attached to them.
    Let's be careful out there!

19. #abandoned - before my suitability to teach English is called into question.

20. Maybe my wording was wrong, it's far more effective that any other wall in my classroom and the children like it. Looks like a working wall will be either loved or hated by teachers. I love mine.