1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working wall for numeracy and literacy!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by iffahbeg, Jan 3, 2012.

1. I dont know where to start from to crate my working walls, I would appreciate any feedback.

2. Your slt should provide guidance as each school is different.

3. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My working wall is nothing fancy, it's literally a work in progress.

Basically I have my wall, 3 signs: Literacy, numeracy & Science, then during the course of a lesson, i'll record key points, or a story board, or special words or whatever on a big piece of paper, then when the input is over, i whack it up on the wall as a reference point for the kids. I also use it for key words, particularly for science, but anything really which links to that week. My numeracy one currently has pictures of shapes and their descriptions.

4. We are required to have a little bit of structure to our working wall. My literacy wall therefore has space for the genre and purpose of the genre to be clearly displayed, along with a good example. I also have the heading: 'generic success criteria' (ha! as if the children ever take any notice). Other than that, I just put anything we've been doing that day up.

5. CB123

CB123 New commenter

On our numeracy wall we have a word, shape and number of the week

6. If you google 'working wall' you get some good ideas. I think it was the lancashire site that came up with a document called 'Learning Environment' which showed good examples of working walls. I followed their examples and was recently told my working wall was one that other teachers should look at !!!