1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Working visa / Z visa with postgraduate certificate and associate's degree?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by vincent1996maart, Apr 8, 2020.

  1. vincent1996maart

    vincent1996maart New commenter

    Hello everyone,
    I'm 24 years old and I'm from Belgium.
    I have been toying with the idea to teach overseas and more specifically in China for quite a few years now.
    I have an associate's degree in paralegal studies and I also hold a postgraduate certificate in strategic management and leadership. I don't hold a formal bachelor's degree.
    Is there any possibility for me to obtain a Z visa / work visa in China?

    I would like to teach English as a foreign language to Chinese high school students and primary school kids.

    I am willing to get myself TEFL certified.

    Kind regards,
  2. gilderbeast2000

    gilderbeast2000 New commenter

    With the TEFL you will find work in China. However, in the last few years they have toughened up their teaching visas. You will have to settle for a language centre or high school. The pay will not be great but if you are single it will be enough.

    At the moment China is not issuing visas or processing documents for Z Visas due to the travel restrictions. If I were you I would wait until the pandemic is over before moving countries!
  3. vincent1996maart

    vincent1996maart New commenter

    I should have been clearer in my initial post.
    I'm slowly starting to look around and plan to move next year.
    So plenty of time to plan everything well ahead.

    I do have academic credentials. It's not like I have completely no education at all to show for.
    I can provide them with a postgraduate certificate which is generally ranked higher than a bachelor's degree and I can provide them with an associate's degree. It's true however that I do not hold a bachelor's degree and that my situation is a little bit specific because of that issue. I'm however convinced that my situation should be distinguished from some random high school drop out who worked for a decade at the local Walmart, quickly has himself TEFL certified and plans to move to China to teach English without any academic credentials. That's not my case. I did enjoy a college education.
    So I'm hoping that there will be schools that are prepared to give me a chance and stand by me in obtaining a working visa. I don't want to work under illegal conditions either.
    It's pretty demotivating that the governments don't look further than the words "bachelor's degree". An associate's degree and a postgraduate certificate are also common credentials that many western people hold. Why are these so easily overlooked?

    To summarize:
    I'll take it that I'll have to give up on my dream to teach English abroad in Asia? Since I will be working under primitive circumstances as long as I can't show them that bachelor's degree?
  4. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    And it might be a good idea to do a CELTA while you are waiting (as well as reading my blog bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com)
  5. vincent1996maart

    vincent1996maart New commenter

    A celta or a delta qualification is always useful, I agree.
    A celta is a level 6 if I'm not mistaken.
    I just don't understand why they wouldn't accept the celta as equal to a bachelor's degree since it sits on level 6 just like the bachelor's degree?
    I have read time and time again that governments won't accept the celta as an academic bachelor's degree. Why would that be? I mean, they do accept a bachelor's degree in English literature as a genuine bachelor's degree but they refuse to acknowledge a good celta degree as equivalent to a bachelor's degree. That's just measuring with different standards. So unfair.
    I will look into completing a celta though. Since I will be stuck here for quite some more years anyway if I should believe everything I read.

    Kind regards,
  6. the hippo

    the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

    I have never done a CELTA, but I have spoken to quite a few teachers who have done one.

    It used to cost about a thousand quid and took about a month. A CELTA is amazingly hard work, according to my sources of info, but it is intensely practical and "hands on". It just about guarantees you a job at the end of it and in fact some CELTA trainees get job offers before they have even finished the course. A CELTA is really aimed at teaching English to older students or adults, not children. However, it is a valued and respected qualification for any international teacher to have, in addition to your PGCE or BEd or whatever.
  7. RoadToRags

    RoadToRags New commenter

    A CELTA is certainly hard work, but it is a month, not a 3-4 year academic bachelor's degree. It looks at the theoretical aspects of teaching and language aquisition, and requires some essays, as well as teaching practice.

    Neither of your qualifications are a traditional academic bachelor's or masters degree, and they are more focused towards professional skills.

    Getting a visa in China or other countries that are strict on credentials may involve finding somewhere that is happy to bend the rules, or have you work there illegally, and that might not be the kind of institution that you want to work in.

Share This Page