1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Two 0.5 Contracts

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MikeHendo, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Hiya. im currently working in a school and covering maternity. This person is comming back after easter and the head has offered me 0.5 as the person comming back only wants 0.5 when she comes back.
    As im in my NQT year, i need to work full time to gain my QTS and was wondering if, if i get a second 0.5 contract in a different school...how would it work?

E.g. Work Monday - Wed am in school A, then Wed pm - Friday in School B.

Would i be paying Full tax on one of my jobs because it is classed as a second job or not? also does it depend on if the school are in the same council?

Im sooo confused, any suggestions welcome! Thanks
    Mike

2. Hiya. im currently working in a school and covering maternity. This person is comming back after easter and the head has offered me 0.5 as the person comming back only wants 0.5 when she comes back.
    As im in my NQT year, i need to work full time to gain my QTS and was wondering if, if i get a second 0.5 contract in a different school...how would it work?

E.g. Work Monday - Wed am in school A, then Wed pm - Friday in School B.

Would i be paying Full tax on one of my jobs because it is classed as a second job or not? also does it depend on if the school are in the same council?

Im sooo confused, any suggestions welcome! Thanks
    Mike

3. You would pay exactly the same amount of tax doing two 0.5 jobs as you would on a full time contract. It is a myth that second jobs are taxed higher. Per annum you would pay no tax on your first £6745 (your personal allowance) on the next £30000 you earn you pay 20% on everything above that you pay 40% (50% on earnings over £150000).

4. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

You might struggle getting between two schools, though? Imagine eating your sarnies in the car and spilling the insides all over your trousers...

5. It might work logistically but it sounds like a nightmare to me, very tiring and ALL that planning and assessment.
    Can you not negotiate any more time -ie PPA cover or supply to make your hours up. What about your non contact time how will that work?

6. frustum

frustum Established commenter

With the tax, you would be paying more tax on one job than the other - you would nominate one to be your "main job" and the other to be the second job. You'd pay very little on one and quite a lot on the other, but the system is set up quite well to make sure it works out right overall. (It's more complicated if the first job doesn't eat your entire personal allowance: that shouldn't be an issue with a 50% teacher salary, but check it if you have tax credits and so on.)
    I suspect it's quite hard to get 0.5 + 0.5, as they would need to fit (if the heads want to help you make it work, they might be able to timetable your PPA to help with the logistics of the half days, assuming you're primary). Or look for 0.5 + 0.4. Or talk again with your current head: point out that 0.5 would make it hard for you to get more than another 0.4, and ask whether they could consider making it 0.4 or 0.6.

7. Thanks for all your replys!

Yea i am primary but because im an NQT i want to do two 0.5 so that i can still get my qts within the one year. Its complicated but cant be any worse than im doing now...at the minute im doing full time PPA, all over the place so i am used to the chaos!

Thanks again.

8. thepinkrachael

thepinkrachael New commenter

I worked part time in two schools to complete my NQT year and it was do-able, butI wouldn't want to repeat it. I did PPA cover for 2 days in one school, 2 days with 'my' class in the other, and the 3rd day there half as PPA and NQT time and half covering PPA. I was lucky that the PPA I had was with my job share partner so that helped logistically, and timewise. I would say it is worth looking into, but without the right mix of schools (ie location, year groups etc.) and time it might be hard to do and better in the long run to give yourself a bit of extra time to complete the year.

9. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I have heard of part time NQTs still achieving QTS in a year. If your mentor and head can show that you have met the standards in that time, then I believe it is possible. But will stand corrected if someone knows for sure otherwise.[​IMG]

10. Noooo... I have it on good authority (LEA NQT lady) that i need 65 <u>contracted</u> days to count as 1 term of induction.