1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working together ideas - Upper KS2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenn269, Sep 2, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a practical group activity to settle children back in that will encourage them to work together. They are a particularly challenging Year 5 class that dont work together very well!
    After the activity the children are going to evaluate the roles in which each one of them played during the activity! Any ideas welcome please.

2. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a practical group activity to settle children back in that will encourage them to work together. They are a particularly challenging Year 5 class that dont work together very well!
    After the activity the children are going to evaluate the roles in which each one of them played during the activity! Any ideas welcome please.

3. hammie

hammie Senior commenter

one activity that i have used as part of an enterprise day carousel.
    in groups
    each group has to maufacture envelopes
    issue them with a standard drawing that they must use (that fits on one side of A4)
    they buy kit from you, glue sticks, scissors, blank paper etc
    they sell the envelopes back to you
    you pay for packs of 5, according to standard of manufacure.
    if they choose to decorate, you can pay extra.
    I introduced some standard letters..
    The environmental inspectors are coming (so they pick up their mess) fines or rewards will be forthcoming.
    Special price available for the first 10 envelopes, the prettiest, the...
    Group Roles: Buyer, spy, manufacturing director, seller, manufacturers.
    They quickly decide to use templates, mass production etc.
    Has always worked very well for me

4. Great activity is The Thirty-minute challenge. Put children into groups of 3 or 4. Each group has I large sheet sugar paper, 4 A4 sheets, 1 pencil, 1 ruler, 1 pair of scissors, 1 selotape. Reveal on board list of 6-10 objects they need to make. they have 30 minutes, can't borrow anything from another group and can only use the materials they have. Each object must 'work'. They score up to 10 points each for: cooperation, each working, finished object, creativity.
    Some things I've listed are: A waterproof name tag, a party decoration, a hat, a piece of jewellery, a vase with 2 flowers in it,an object which will hold water, something to measure the height of a person in the group, a bag, etc I'm sure you can think of more.
    Kids get stuck in and its great for looking at who's good at organising, who's got certain skills, how they talk to each other etc.

5. Some great ideas - thank you so much!! Really appreciate it.