1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working to Rule?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by triadplus1, Dec 3, 2011.

1. I think he's right to say that he can't guarantee it. Perhaps there are other adults who would be willing to come in for free after spending the day at work.

2. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Sounds like a HT who is sympathetic to the cause taking the opportunity to remind parents that these things are done on the back of teachers' good will.

The next phase of the TUC Pensions Action will be a mixed palette of targeted strikes / work to rule etc. I would be surprised if Scottish teaching unions did not ballot their members on work to rule early in the new year. Remember that the "knife fight in a phone box" that is the post McCormac negotiations, will be starting in the NewYear also so having a range of weapons available would be sensible.

3. Scottish members of the NASUWT have already received notification from the union advising them of a work-to-rule action which started on the 1st Dec. I totally support this action but its a bit mute when you're the only member (or one of 2) in the school.
    I feel that the work-to-rule should have been done first. Schools and the LAs rely on the goodwill of teachers to run schools and the parents nowadays seem to have an expectation their weans will have access to clubs, discos, curriculum nights etc. That's where it would hurt. Then, they couldn't bleat about losing a day's pay but I'll bet there are still some who'll complain because they will have lost their after-school babysitting service!

4. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

i would hope that other unions are talking about this to ramp up the pressure and the message
    if not then they should be

5. sbf

sbf New commenter

Lols very good.
    If its a fight in a phonebox we are having then all i need is a good night on the curry and guiness. :eek:)
    Biological warfare, its the only way :eek:)

6. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Don't need to ballot, the ballot which covered Wednesday's strike covers all types of industrial action, including work to rule.
    Personally I'm sceptical about work to rule - there is always the ambitious brown-nosing type after promotion who won't stick to it and there are extra curricular trips already paid for - do you cancel these and lose the pupils money? Personally I'd prefer a boycott of all CFE work until the government starts to fund it properly.

7. I see wtr as the only way forward. The strike, in reality, achieved very little. Let's show them what they get for nothing......
    35hr weeks anyone?
    Full breaks every single day anyone?
    All/any NCCT entitlement taken, or taken in lieu anyone?(I alone 'gave away' 2 of my contractually agreed slots last week as 'goodwill')
    Absolutely no extra-curriculum time given anyone?
    Etc