1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Time Agreements

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Jazzz, May 18, 2020.

1. Jazzz

Jazzz New commenter

As the EIS rep I’m usually involved with WTA at this time of year. I don’t even know whether to bring the subject up!

Anyone else in a similar position?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No. However,if I were you,I would send your HT an email along the lines of "considering the current situation,I assume that our yearly meeting regarding WTA will take place at a later date?" and I would cc it to the reps of the other unions at your school. This email documents the need for said meeting while not sounding too forceful like you are demanding the meeting "right now!".

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

WTAs are going to be kicked down the line. Apparently there is going to be new guidance coming from the SNCT about this.

sicilypat likes this.
  4. grayst

grayst New commenter

IMPORTANT: get your SLTs to accept, in writing, that any form of live audio / video contact with students counts as class contact time and comes out of the 22.5 hours.

5. autoq

autoq New commenter

Ahh, the old "Working Time Agreeement" malarky. Where "we" all agree to work for so long doing certain (usually pointless) things other than prep and teaching. Even worse, unions/SLT spend ages trying to argue over what 0.5 hour is going to be attributed to whatever, as though it actually makes a jot of difference to anything.
    Then NOBODY bothers recording how long we actually spend doing the "agreed" things anyway - ANOTHER pointless waste of everbody's time. (Repeat this for every school in the country. )o_O
    I make the same point every year to my rep. He still hasn't come back to me with a valid reason as to why they bother.... :confused:
    The reality is that most of us "do what needs to be done" in order to make sure that the pupils are given some semblance of an education DESPITE every other "stakeholder's" (PT/SLT/Council/SQA/ScotGovt's) bests attempts to make my job more difficult. I have never recorded how long I take to do reports/collegiate sessions/DM/parents evenings ,etc. Nobody I know does. Why don't you just assign 100% of WTA time to doing "stuff", because that's pretty much what happens anyway ? :rolleyes:

From what I can tell, the need for a WTA implies a complete lack of understanding /competence/trust by SLT. If they are trying to "get us to do too much" then they need to be looking at themselves and also their trust towards us (with regards to us making full use of our 35 hours obligation).
    The WTA EVIDENTLY does not protect us from that, because , as I keep on saying
    (a) we don't record our time anyway and
    (b) the one standing item on my DM agenda is always "Reducing Bureacracy" - the need for this really shouldn't/wouldn't be there (as much) if the WTA does what it's meant to do. But it just doesn't.

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Apparently blended learning will be the new norm. Teachers will be delivering face-to-face with some pupils, online with others.
    Delivering online teaching is very different from face-to-face and requires extra planning.
    I am interested to see how SQA and the WTA cope with this.

I am still to see any plan which shows how N4,N5,H and AH classes get delivered with the requisite number of teaching hours. I reckon that is impossible. Exams 2021 should be cancelled well in advance.

7. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

I've been saying that for years, autoq.

The system is just plain old corrupt. Not Graham Greene or "here's a few quid" corrupt, it's a case of "it's always been done that way".

My former FH made us "develop" material constantly. When it was suggested we need to review the impact, we were told no, just keep developing. An example of how school "managers" should be grateful for the education industry, cos they couldn't cut it anywhere else.

I'm also fed up of constantly being told - at inservice days and WSMs and DMs etc - how poverty-stricken some of our pupils are (that's nearly 20 years of that now), it's as if we didn't know!

xmal likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

No-one knows how "blended" learning will be implemented: not schools, not LAs and certainly not the SQA!

PS1 Tell me how poor behaviour will be handled online. The "off" button?!

PS2 How long will it be before someone suggests recording your lectures? Just think of the savings to be made!

GuessWho likes this.
  9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

The one thing I think the WTA could be useful for is fending off new tasks mid year. You don't have to be keeping time to say "well that wasn't reckoned into the working time agreement so we need to negotiate an alteration. What are you going to get rid of?" The difficulty is that this requires both a union rep who is on the ball and a staff with the backbone to say "no". If some heedie decides that they want reports with comments every month instead of twice a year, then it's easy to argue that this will take long and so the time has to come from somewhere else. Again, though, it relies on both reps and members being organised and not letting themselves get trampled on.

10. xmal

xmal Established commenter

What I always say is that our time should be treated like a financial budget in that it's finite. If a dept or faculty needed a new printer, the first question would be where is the money coming from? Then how much will it cost? We should do the same with our time.

borges33, bigjimmy2 and Effinbankers like this.