1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working tax credits

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by sauce, Jan 26, 2011.

1. I am on maternity leave at the moment and am trying to plan arrangements for returning to work. I am thinking that I will work two days a week and baby will go to a nursery on those days. Trouble is that most of what I earn will then go on cnildcare!
    So does anyone know whether I would qualify for working tax credits and if so how much would I get? My husband is a full time teacher.
    OR does anyone know how I can find out the answer to this before I make definite work/ childcare arrangements?

2. I am on maternity leave at the moment and am trying to plan arrangements for returning to work. I am thinking that I will work two days a week and baby will go to a nursery on those days. Trouble is that most of what I earn will then go on cnildcare!
    So does anyone know whether I would qualify for working tax credits and if so how much would I get? My husband is a full time teacher.
    OR does anyone know how I can find out the answer to this before I make definite work/ childcare arrangements?

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I went back on a 0.5 timetable when I was on M5. My husband earns about the equivalent of full time on M4. We got about £80 per month of child tax credits and no working tax credits. When our son was 1 this dropped to £35 per month. On the days I work our son goes to a childminder. The tax credits we get basically pay for one day of childcare, out of the 10 days I work every 4 weeks.
    I think there's a website called entitledto or something where you can fill in your details and see what help you're eligible for.

4. We are currently claiming child tax credits as while on maternity leave I am earning much less. You have to apply based on last years P60 figures. For us, it then came back to say we weren't entitled to anything. We then had to fill in a change of circumstances form that came with the notification to tell them about the lower income this year. Before we did this we phoned them up to ask what the figures would be based on the new income and the figure we were given was pretty much the same as the figure we were given formally after we gave the new details in writing. Child care costs are also taken into account so you get more if you have this as it is deducted from your income when they make the calculations.
    If you give them a ring they are very good and pretty accurate.