1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working tax credits/child tax credits

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by mrsh84, May 15, 2011.

1. Following on from the maternity pay thread, I thought I would ask if anyone has been able to claim these. Obviously I know it's a bit of a private matter but I am on M6 in september and my husband earns around 23000. Once I am on maternity leave though we are in trouble! I'm saving up now and considering selling my car if it gets really tight. Is it even worth applying as according to their benefit calculator they base it on this year's income so my drop in pay won't be considered.
    Has anyone applied for any benefits and had any luck?
    Thanks, strawberry

2. joannagb

joannagb Occasional commenter

Hi,
    I applied last time I was on maternity leave - just as I was coming back to work, I'm on UPS2 at 50% and my husband is on UPS3, so total income of around £59k, we got less than £100 :( and nothing at all after that. Sorry, I know that's not good news, but they were very helpful when I rang up - lots of questions designed to try to help me, just no luck.
    Hope you have better luck!
    J

3. from what i read when the tories announced the budget last year, i understand the following:
    anyone with a total household income of more than £40,000 a year is entitled to nothing.
    anyone with a total household income of more than £30,000 a year but under £40,000 a year is entitled to £10 per week child tax credit until April 2012, when they will lose it.
    from april 2012, all households with a total income of more than £30,000 a year will be entitled to nothing.

4. Your drop in income WILL be considered- don't panic. Although you have to fill in the form with last years income the direct.gov phoneline tell you to attach a covering letter with your calculation for THIS years income and they will work with that instead. Obviously your income this year will be vastly different to last years so will be considered. As spiderkin showed above though the income from tax credits will be very small- prob £10 per week. remember child benefit too.

5. Thanks, I know it won't be much but having worked hard and paid taxes etc. I would like to claim things I am entitled to. (Not that I am pregnant so I could get benefits, lol!) I will wait and see, there is a children's centre in my village so I may go there once the baby is here to see what I can do.
    Thanks again for all replies.

6. they take it on last years but you can call up and give them this year's estimate. you also get a £100 a week tax free allowance whilst you're on maternity leave so you can take that off your total household income too.