1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Scientifically taught as a discreet skill?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annapark101, Apr 25, 2017.

1. annapark101

annapark101 New commenter

Hello all. Our science LTP for this term says, "Enquiry". Does anyone have experience of teaching enquiry skills separately to the knowledge areas, or have some fizzy ideas that would fit any of the strands? Thanks for reading!

2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I suppose that is all a bout variables, and how to do research etc?

3. WildKyogre

WildKyogre New commenter

(sorry I misread your question)

Edit: For enquiry, having them think of a question or questions they have about the topic- they could then research ways to find out the answers. You could then choose the most appropriate ones to pursue in the classroom (they may need adapting slightly).

4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

It's 'discrete' unless of course you're keeping it under your hat.

whitestag likes this.
  5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

The LTP sounds like a bit of a cop out. The pupils work scientifically by studying the areas on the curriculum. The national curriculum even has suggestions for each area on how they might work scientifically. I'd ignore the LTP, pick an area of study they haven't covered and then plan the enquiry skills to be practised when investigating it.

WildKyogre likes this.