1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working? Relaxing? Both?

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by Sunny41, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Afternoon all.
    Hope you're enjoying the hols. I just wondered how many of you do school work during the holidays and, if so, how much time you spend working. We're weeks into the holidays now yet I still don't feel as though I've really 'unwound' yet (which is quite pathetic, I know...).
    When I spend time doing work for school, I feel guilty about not using the holidays to unwind and forget about work. When I do no work for school, I get anxious at the very prospect of feeling overwhelmed when term begins and feel as though I should be getting a 'head start' now.
    Anyone out there willing to share their approach?
    Much appreciated.
    G

2. Afternoon all.
    Hope you're enjoying the hols. I just wondered how many of you do school work during the holidays and, if so, how much time you spend working. We're weeks into the holidays now yet I still don't feel as though I've really 'unwound' yet (which is quite pathetic, I know...).
    When I spend time doing work for school, I feel guilty about not using the holidays to unwind and forget about work. When I do no work for school, I get anxious at the very prospect of feeling overwhelmed when term begins and feel as though I should be getting a 'head start' now.
    Anyone out there willing to share their approach?
    Much appreciated.
    G

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Lol, I've just been in for the last couple of days as the thought of the mess in the office was just getting me down. I know people who cannot think of work at all for the whole of the summer and others who take on a summer job to keep busy and get some cash! Everyone is different, aren't they?
    I do a bit of both. I know that I need to relax, and because all my family lives abroad I usually go back for at least a week, during which I do no work at all (well, tessing, but that's not really work, despite what my oh thinks!). I tend to sleep longer as well and watch some daytime TV (the more rubbish the better, at the moment I've got a thing for Diagnosis Murder). But then after a couple of weeks of doing nothing my mind starts going back towards work, so I'll do a bit of lesson planning, SOWs updating, that sort of stuff, mainly from home. I like starting the school year having planned the whole of the first half-term (perhaps not in all the details, but at least the big lines), it means that I'm a lot more relaxed at the start and only have marking to do. I also like doing all the "optional" things that I never have time to do, you know, the creative, time-consuming tasks that you'd never dream of doing in a normal working week but start imagining as soon as you have the time to.
    I make sure I spend time with friends as much as possible to avoid the guilt you talk about. To be fair, most of my friends and my oh aren't teachers, so they won't notice the difference in how I spend my days. Just do what feels right!
    Nx

4. Firstly, please no bragging about having been off for weeks. Last day of term is tomorrow for me!
    I do try to not do any work over the holidays. I think it's really important to unwind/relax and get some mental distance from work, and I recognise this as being in the best interests of me, my students and my family as I need to recover from the previous year and recharge ready for the next.
    I used to get anxious about getting a head start, but I'll be going into my 6th year of teaching in September, and I have learnt that no matter what you do, you'll never get everything done or fully prepared for September, so it's best not to stress about it, and I know what needs to get done will get done.
    There's a reason you're expected to work hard in term time, and there's a reason you get 6 weeks off now!

5. Thanks for the replies!

Noemie, I think you seem to have the balance just right - some work amidst plenty of relaxation. I think I need to try a bit harder to strike that balance during the holidays. Love your point about rubbish TV! It's amazing what some Diagnosis Murder can do to ease your stress levels :)
    Atics, you must be so relieved to finally finish up! I expect you'll have a glass of something nice in your hand about now! I take your point about never really being able to be fully prepared for the term ahead. It's the sort of job where you could literally work every day during the holidays and still feel swamped come the new term...
    I spent today doing school work and have now packed everything up and put it away. I'll go in and start preparing the week before term starts but until then I'm determined to relax and not think about it. I've just booked an overnight stay in a nice hotel for my friend and I so that should definitely help the unwinding process!
    Have a lovely (relaxing) weekend :)

G

6. I finished yesterday! I quite like just leaving things on the last day as I go in for three/four days in the first week of the holiday to put the year away: finish marking, sorting classroom, tidying, binning, moving folders to their new teacher etc.. By the time Wednesday (or Thursday if there's more to do than I thought) comes, I will start the holiday proper and not touch any work for three, possibly four, weeks. I start to think about the new year and begin planning for it when GCSE exam results are published. Then I work for a couple of hours a day in the run up to the new term: by which time, my mind is ready for the new year.