1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working part time?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Skelly2, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Skelly2

Skelly2 New commenter

Dear Theo

I am looking at a vacancy with a view to applying, however it is a full time post and I only want to work part time.

I work in a shortage subject in an inner city school and the potential new position is a similar situation. My current role is part time.

Would I be best to contact the school before hand to see if they would accept a part time position or to apply as normal and then mention it if they offer me the job? I don't want to mess anyone around but at the same time would like to opportunity to show what I could do.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Hello!

My own take is that if its a full time post, they'll expect you to fulfil it full time, if offered. What do you mean by part time? 0.4, or would you be prepared to go for 0.6 or 0.8? If with timetabling they can accommodate you, they may say yes. But people have posted about how despite being PT, they are still expected to attend meetings/parents' evenings/ Open days on days they are not in school.

Your best bet is to contact the school and ask if you can talk to the HT.

Good luck!

Skelly2 likes this.
  3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Shortage subject, and inner city school. ... But I'd still feel pretty peeved if you waited until you were offered the post before saying Only If I Can Be Part Time.

I'd resent you springing that on me at that point, instead of talking about it before you applied, giving us time to think through how it might be possible to meet both your needs and ours.

So best bet is to discuss it now, before putting the effort into applying.

By the way - have you found the articles on the Professional Advice Hub? How to apply and all that jazz?

If not, tag me @TheoGriff and I'll come back with the links.

Best wishes

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I agree wholeheartedly with Theo.

I shall add that if full-time posts are hard to fill in this school in your subject, finding the other bit you don't want to do might be even harder for them. I was head of a school which had hundreds of applications for PE - not a shortage subject normally; however, when one of my female PE staff wanted to go part-time after maternity leave, I could not - despte more than one national and local advert - find anyone willing to consider the other part of her contract, let alone someone I might consider "good enough".