1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working part time?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jazz2012, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has moved from a full time to part time position - either moving schools or reduced your hours in the same school. I'm thinking of it, as there may be a threat of redundancies here, but i'm wondering what disadvantages you have found (apart from less salary and pension contributions). Do you think it would look bad on a CV in the future if you applied for FT positions again?

2. Just wondering if anyone has moved from a full time to part time position - either moving schools or reduced your hours in the same school. I'm thinking of it, as there may be a threat of redundancies here, but i'm wondering what disadvantages you have found (apart from less salary and pension contributions). Do you think it would look bad on a CV in the future if you applied for FT positions again?

3. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I used to work part-time whilst studying part-time and loved it! Being part-time did not stop going straight back into a full-time HOD position... if you can afford to work p/t and really want to, and don't want to climb career ladder at the moment, then I say go for it! I would love to be pt again!

4. I have worked part-time since having children and find that it works well for the most part. My employer and the timetabler are pretty flexible and have allowed me to specify the hours I work most of the time.
    You should be aware though, that your employer has the right to adjust your working hours as a part timer by up to 10 percent up or down in relation to your contracted hours, from one academic year to the next.
    I think the down side of working part time as a teacher is that it's easy for that extra time to become unpaid working time. I've also found that colleagues sometimes forget that you are part time and don't take account of it.
    If you are going to go part time, I would make sure that you are strict about not using the time to catch up on marking etc, otherwise you will only end up working just as many hours but for less pay!
    As far as part time work affecting your prospects, it shouldn't make any difference.
    Hope it works out for you.