1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working p/t and being paid for bank holidays

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by billandsplodge, May 4, 2011.

1. billandsplodge

billandsplodge New commenter

Confused about this, but with all these recent bank holidays it got me thinking!

I work Tues/Weds/Thurs so obviously haven't been paid for any of the recent BHs. In my last job (for the local authority) I had extra holiday pro rata to compensate for the BHs. Now obviously I can't do that in a school job so should I get extra money instead? [​IMG]
    Anyone else in this position and can advise? Only been working here since Sept so don't want to upset anyone but equally want to receive what I'm entitled to!

Thank you [​IMG].

2. billandsplodge

Confused about this, but with all these recent bank holidays it got me thinking!

I work Tues/Weds/Thurs so obviously haven't been paid for any of the recent BHs. In my last job (for the local authority) I had extra holiday pro rata to compensate for the BHs. Now obviously I can't do that in a school job so should I get extra money instead? [​IMG]
    Anyone else in this position and can advise? Only been working here since Sept so don't want to upset anyone but equally want to receive what I'm entitled to!

Thank you [​IMG].

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

In theory yes..... but in practice as you don't get paid for a Monday regardless of whether it be a bank holiday or not, no.

4. billandsplodge

But in my LA job I wasn't paid for Mondays either but as all the f/t staff received BHs I had extra holiday instead. This also happens in some private sector roles (my SIL works p/t). Just wondered how it works in school!

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

It doesn't. But you could ask.

6. AdmiralNelson

AdmiralNelson New commenter

In the schools I've worked in, it was rather pot luck - school closed (say for snow) when you were due to work - you got paid; on a day you weren't - tough...

7. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

I think that as you work 0.6, you would be expected to work 0.6 of 195 days in a "normal" year and 0.6 of 194 this year. So you need to check how many days you are working over the year. The best thing to do is enquire with your HR department