1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working overseas without NQT

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ItchyFeet1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ItchyFeet1

ItchyFeet1 New commenter

After being engrossed in these forums on and off for the last few years I'm finally in a position to post on here. I qualify next May and until recently had resided myself to the fact thatI would have to do an NQT year here. My daughter will be 8 by then and, at the risk of sounding unpatriotic, I want out of this sinking ship and don't think I could manage another English winter and dull system driven by teacheres who are more concerned with moving up the career ladder and heads running schools like businesses rather that inspiring the minds of our future generation. I have lived in Canada and am fairly well travelled so am already familiar with culture shock. I would love to hear any inspiration or stories from anyone who has done it and are happy, especially if you think that NQT is not necessary and going alone with a child is a good thing. I look forward to hearing from you.

2. arewethereyet

arewethereyet New commenter

I didn't stick around in the UK to do my NQT year and I don't regret it. But, you should be warned, the better schools probably won't take you on straight from university so you won't be able to be too picky about where you go. Also, you may well find it is the 'business' schools that show the most interest in you as a cheap NQT - but it doesn't sound like you'd be too keen on that. My advice, apply to the jobs you like (there's no harm trying) and see if/what you get offered. I had to start at the bottom and work my way up to better schools.

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To be honest experience in a supportive environment in the UK is what you need, and do a good 3 years there before considering a move abroad. Unfortunately, the marketplace being what it is, you need to grab a post wherever you can and sadly having a child does make you less attractive than other candidates on practical, financial and religious grounds.

4. Dear RuthGreenwood, I am affraid you might find that a lot of international schools are run very much like businesses too! I agree with hapygreenfrog stick around for three more years and you will have a far better time of it.

5. jereni

jereni New commenter

Hi Ruth

I did my NQT year teaching dodgy bottom sets in a large state comprehensive, something I wouldn't wish on anybody, but several years down the road I can see this was a good experience. Yes, the school wasn't great - yes, there were lots of dull teachers working on moving up the career ladder - but I also met some fantastic teachers who taught me a lot.

There are some great schools here in the UK - you don't need to move abroad to find one. And a year is not so very long - once you have QTS you find many more doors open to you.

Sorry I can't provide an inspirational story for you - I've spent the last two winters teaching in thermals, and yes the winters have been tough. But spring is around the corner!

Best wishes

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dear RuthGreenwood, it was a very pleasant 23 degrees C in Doha today. That's the good news.
    The bad news is that a lot of so-called "international schools" in the Middle East are businesses first and educational establishments a poor second. Yes, there are some great schools too, but teachers at these better schools tend to stay there a long time (and I don't blame them!) and this means that there is a lot of competition to get a job at a first division school. Also some of the rubbishy ones are quite skilful when it comes to concealing just how blooming awful they really are. Like most hippopotami, I have a fairly thick skin and you will probably need one too if you are thinking of teaching in the ME.

7. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

To add further to the Hippo, my last post was in a school where educational issues seem irrelevent relative to how well you got on with the owner's friends, how you fitted the image of the designer dressed owners wife, and how willing you were to work under a management structure where the head teacher has little independence.
    A great school, and the kids get a decent level of learning, but run with a lack of love and understanding about education, with huge turnover of staff, yet one in which the parents have little alternative in choice.

8. JUST GO FOR IT.
    This particular question has been asked many times on this forum but because we all have different experiences and opinions, I doubt very much that it is really helpful to you asking it again.
    I am in the 'I tried it and it worked for me' camp. I came to Egypt (and to a top tier school) as soon as I qualified.
    I notice that other posters are recommending that you complete three years in a 'supportive' UK environment first (what ever that's meant to be) - In previous threads they were recommending that you should do two years - in other threads posters were recommending that you should complete your NQT year (one year).
    I recommend that you start applying as soon as possible and just go for it.

9. I would have to agree with robby, if you're desperate to get out of the UK then just do it. Especially as it seems jobs in the UK are pretty hard to come by.

But, take note of the previous posts here, many international schools are run as businesses and only you know whether you can put up with that. Maybe give it go and if it's not for you return to the UK.

10. ItchyFeet1

ItchyFeet1 New commenter

Thank you everyone for your advice. It is very much appreciated.

11. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Hi I would definitely do your nqt year in UK as after a PGCE you are really just ready to learn the art of teaching. One year isn't that long and will improve your career prospects

12. ItchyFeet1

ItchyFeet1 New commenter

After reading my original post again I realise I gave the impression of a fresh out of uni. youngster with no experience. I have four years experience as a TA, some of that on supply in inner city schools. Prior to that I have studied art and fashion and worked in catering and hospitality with lots of management experience.
    I have been keeping an eye on the forums and am looking forward to begin cold calling schools with my CV in about December with the hopes of securing something for after I qualify in June 2013. Thanks to the Hippo for passing on some of your experiences and if anyone has anything further to add I would love to hear it.

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

My dear Ruth, you are most welcome. It is always good to be appreciated! "Afwan gazeelan", as we say in this part of the world. Anyway, please keep me posted and tell me how things go. During the summer months there will be some teaching jobs popping up in weird and sometimes not so wonderful places and there might be more in December and January.

14. ItchyFeet1

ItchyFeet1 New commenter

I most certainly will Mr. Hippo.
    In the meantime I think I may benefit from learning some Arabic. I'll expand on some basics I picked up on a recent trip to Tunisia. To be fair, if I was going to just stay around here I should probably learn it anyway.
    Are you familiar with any books on working in International Schools or is there only that one that appears to be a bit of a personal dig by the authour? .... I was thinking that there appears to be a gap in the market..perhaps you are gathering info. to fill it?

15. ItchyFeet1

ItchyFeet1 New commenter

Many thanks. It'll be strange applying before I qualify from my PGCE but am hoping the early bird cathches the worm! :)
    I am open to destinations and opportunities if anyone has any suggestions . .. within a couple of hours of a beach..... or mountains (as I would love to make use of my snowboard a bit more) or both ideally.
    Santiago, Chile caught my eye recently as it's within reach of both. I know they have reverse seasons and so school starts in March but I don't know much else. Any info would be much appreciated. I could end up anywhere though. Watch this space! :)