1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working overseas without completing NQT year

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by tyler durden, May 22, 2011.

1. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

You probably wouldn't want to work at the schools that would accept you with no experience.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. It reminds me of the old Groucho Marx quip about not wanting "...to join any club that would accept me as a member."
    The subject of moving into international education before doing the NQT year has surely been done to death on this forum. While I have no wish to breathe life into the corpse, I would just like to say that for some NQTs the choice is probably between international schools and unemployment. Perhaps a CELTA might be a good idea for the OP.

3. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

There are some schools in the Middle East that welcome NQTs, particularly in Kuwait.
    Good luck with your PGCE

4. the hippo

What does that tell you about some schools in Kuwait, I wonder? I do not think that the OP will need much luck when completing his PGCE. Getting a job after the PGCE will be what really needs some luck!

5. sirwhale

sirwhale New commenter

Thanks a lot for the replies. I´ve been teaching English for three years now, abroad and that´s why I wanted some more information about after completing a PGCE. From your answers however it looks like I should probably stay on for another year to get some good experience under my belt.

6. I also taught English (ESL) overseas prior to returning to do my PGCE. My advice would be to use as many of your contacts that you have made in your years teaching English overseas to help you get a job as an NQT. My contacts in International schools in the country I was working in have definitely been of benefit to me. Networking is key especially for an NQT.

7. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Vigils advice on here and would add do two hers minimum. The nqt year needs at least another year to consolidate and your choice of jobs increases in what seems like a competitive Market at the moment (lots of middle eastern teachers looking for new posts!) and unemployment in uk. I resigned to go abroad and learnt that I'm not being replaced. I'm the secon teacher to leave without replacement (science) and same in English and other subjects. School is making teachers work extra hours and teach more subjects to cut back. That seems to be happening all over so bad time for teachers .....

8. the hippo

Nemo wrote that "... your choice of jobs increases" and at the same time he (or she) mentions that the job market in the UK is becoming competitive. In fact, I would say that describing the current situation as "competitive" is a big understatement, so there will be fewer choices and not more. A thousand applicants for 25 jobs? Six hundred applications for 3 jobs? That is surely more than "competitive"! If the situation really is as bad as some of the recent articles in the TES are suggesting, then all of these discussions about whether or not an NQT does a year or two in the UK before going abroad become irrelevant and unnecessary.The real choice for many NQTs is between unemployment and teaching overseas. There is no third choice for many NQTs. If you do not believe me, then have a look at the forum for NQTs and the one for unemployed teachers.

9. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Obviously I meant choice of job overseas increases once you have 2 years experience in uk.... But you do risk being on the scrap heap with a pgce and no job. Personally I think the problem is low standards of entry and too high a pass rate to pgce courses combined with too many places. Some of the student teachers I have seen shouldn't have passed - some needed more time at least - but universities want a high pass rate to get students..... These will find an interview harder and more likely to be unemployed. The whole teacher training system is wrong.