1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Working overseas as a maths teacher

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by akay19, Nov 16, 2017.

  1. akay19

    akay19 New commenter

    Hi. I am currently the Head of Maths at a UK secondary school and am in my 6th year of teaching. I am now planning to teach in Asia next year. I have a maths pgce and a maths enhancement course and am very competent at gcse and A Level maths (don’t have much experience of A Level though). The problem is I have a Law degree (2:1) and not a maths degree. What is the likelihood of getting a job in China or Singapore. Does anybody else have any experience doing the same? Do you think I would be able to get a HOD role? Thanks in advance.
  2. dumbbells66

    dumbbells66 Lead commenter

    the recruitment season for next year is well underway, and if you are thinking about moving abroad next year then i suggest you get your act together.

    im sorry i cant help with the whole degree matching subject thing, i know some countries have it in place, and im unsure about China. Singapore its not a problem... the problem you will have though with Singapore is that the world wants to work there, and they get a huge amount of applications form all over the world.

    the HoD role in international schools does not mean the same as it does back home. its really not seen as that much of an advancement, and people regularly move in and out of these roles, back to teacher, and then back to HoD. also, international teaching is very different to teaching back home, and most schools in my experience prefer to hire HoD's internally. i would suggest that you just apply for teacher positions, and see what happens. if you are looking at places like China and Singapore, then a basic classroom teacher in decent schools will earn significantly more than you do as a HoD back home, so you wont be missing out.

    best of luck, and one tip, widen your search area. the world is a big place and full of great opportunities.
    akay19 likes this.
  3. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    A few years back degree matching was not an issue in China as long as you had certification and at least two years of experience as a teacher. That was true in Beijing at least. Different provinces sometimes have different rules for visas. Things may have changed since then. The only countries I have heard with strict policies about degree matching certification/job opening have been in the ME.
    akay19 likes this.
  4. akay19

    akay19 New commenter

    Thanks for all the help everyone. Very excited for the move.

Share This Page