1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working over summer?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by Northernsole, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

Hey Everyone,

We have been told by our principal that we will be required to work during July this year. We have also been informed that we are not recieving any pay increments for next year. We are completely private, are not in TPS, and have our own pay scale, which is not very generous. We are unionised. Can we be forced to undergo training, complete paperwork and potentially meet (online) students over the summer? We are not being offered any pay for this work.

2. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

Sounds rubbish. What does it involve? If it was a little bit of induction type contact to make up for things that haven’t been able to happen at the end of this term I’d be fine with it. I’d also be fine with rejigging schemes of work etc. during the summer if that was necessary because we were told we couldn’t be on site in September. I’d not be happy if I was asked to teach a full online timetable through July.
    What are they asking you to do?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are working during July, but then again we don't break up until the middle of July.
    If you are unionised, then you need to get the reps to organise a meeting (zoom or teams or whatever your school is using) of members, joint from all unions would be best, and decide what the response would be.

When my school mooted this, I asked on a union reps' group and the answer was to check contracts. If there is no mention of teaching in the holidays, then the school would need to give a term's notice to the change of contract.

Most teachers complete paperwork in the holidays, so that's not something to get too fussed about. But training and meeting students is a problem. Your union reps need to take this on and all members need to stick together to give a collective voice.

4. Northernsole

Thank-you both for your replies. Our school doesn't pay well, but, in my mind at least, this is ok due to the long summer holiday we get. Now to be told that on top of another year without a pay increase, we are expected to lose our summer holiday, it sounds like the proverbial straw for me.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I do feel for you...will it take all the holiday or just a week at the start and/or end?

6. Northernsole

The full details have not been shared, but potentially all of July. We return early/mid August. Some of us have been informed that we are expected to meet with students who 'struggled' to complete work during the online teaching phase. This includes accepting late work, marking it and then giving 'appropriate' feedback to the students.