1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out working hours on supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by laguna343, Mar 19, 2012.

1. laguna343

laguna343 New commenter

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to how I should put down my working hours on forms etc. I've been trying to figure this out for some time and can't find any concrete information on the internet.

I'm paid in days or half days, not in hours. I usually work through the entire day from when I get to the schools at just gone 8 til I leave at 4ish depending on the school day and how much there is to sort out; but do you only count the actual length of the school day?
    Also being a supply teacher my hours can vary wildly from one afternoon to 4 full days.

More recently I've had quite a lot of work, but if I put down the number of hours I've worked based on that it seems really misleading as before Christmas my average hours were considerably lower.

When filling in forms to do with tax credits or whatever they all ask for the hours worked and I'm not sure what I should put. Is there anyone out there who knows and could enlighten me? I'd be very grateful

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. laguna343

laguna343 New commenter

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any clue as to how I should put down my working hours on forms etc. I've been trying to figure this out for some time and can't find any concrete information on the internet.

I'm paid in days or half days, not in hours. I usually work through the entire day from when I get to the schools at just gone 8 til I leave at 4ish depending on the school day and how much there is to sort out; but do you only count the actual length of the school day?
    Also being a supply teacher my hours can vary wildly from one afternoon to 4 full days.

More recently I've had quite a lot of work, but if I put down the number of hours I've worked based on that it seems really misleading as before Christmas my average hours were considerably lower.

When filling in forms to do with tax credits or whatever they all ask for the hours worked and I'm not sure what I should put. Is there anyone out there who knows and could enlighten me? I'd be very grateful

Thanks in advance

Ian

3. msmuse

msmuse New commenter

I had this problem last year when updating tax credits. I worked out an average, realistic, amount of hours per week which pretty much proved to be right in subsequent months to come.

4. laguna343

laguna343 New commenter

Thanks for the reply. How did you actually count the hours though? Just the hours in a school day, or the full hours that you were working?

5. I'm also currently going through this, as now I am getting regular supply work *fingers crossed* I have had to sign off JSA, which triggers the local council and their information about hours worked etc, so they can figure out how much council tax to pay each week. The frustration is that forms are set out in a clear-cut manner, so it is not ideal for temporary workers. For example "Do you work more than 16 hours a week?" The options to reply....Yes OR No. However, as we all know with supply, one week I we could have 4 days and the next 0 days. It averages out, but with no room to explain I will have to go into the offices later this week when I get my pay slip.

Back to the main point (sorry), so you get paid for lunches and breaks? Whilst I saw that you have a day and half-day rates, does your pay take this into account? You might want to ring the school/agency and find this out.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you are paid in whole or half day set amounts, you ask your employer how many hours they attribute to those. Some say that a full day can mean being required to work 6.5 hours (average DT hours per day) but may be as little as the 5 contact hours.
    What you do not do is count lunch breaks (unpaid time) or any time before the official start of the school day.
    You might actually be preparing stuff before and after school and in break times but if the paid hours are less than that work time, you should only be quoting paid work time on official forms.
    If you have a day of just having to be available for the 5 hours of lessons and morning break (paid time when you could be used for a duty), just count 5 or 5.25 hours as your work hours. never quote more than 6.5 per full day.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've never been able to claim for more than 6.5 hours a day from either agency or LEA, although I have negotiated extra sessions for parents' evenings when on agency sessional rate. That was based on a day divided into 5 sessions, with the assumption that the morning is 3 sessions and the afternoon is 2 sessions. As I was only working part-time anyway I was able to add extra sessions onto the time sheet to cover me for extra time spent at the parents' evenings.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The forms that the OP is asking about are not the timesheets for pay purposes but the government Tax credit forms (also JSA where applicable) and those require you to state the hours that you have worked.
    It causes issues for teachers who have to do planning as it's a never-ending job really, with work done outside contact hours at school and at home. Therefore, the OP should make sure never to allocate more than 6.5 hours to a full work day, with all other planning etc done being necessary 'volunteer' time, not official work hours.