1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out what to charge

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Lucilla90, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

New to supply from January. Friends have advised me to contact local schools myself, as well as joining agencies.

How would one begin to work out what to charge?

pepper5 likes this.
  2. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

You can contact schools yourself but I wouldn’t be too hopeful about that option. Unfortunately, schools seem to prefer to use agencies than save themselves money and go direct. If you have a good contact at a school, ie the person hiring supply, that will get your foot in the door.

To work out your supply agency pay you divide your MPS or UPS salary by 195. That’s your daily rate with holiday included. Agencies seem to add on about one third to bank for themselves so I would go for somewhere below one third more to undercut the agencies.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Lucilla90

Definitely contact some local schools as you might find there are vacancies unfilled in your subject area. Are you planning to do day to day or long term covers of a term or more?

Landofla's advice about what to charge is sound. If you are planning and marking then your daily rate would be a slightly more. Also, if you are in a shortage subject such as physics, computing science, or maths then you might be able to charge slightly more.

If you possibly can, avoid agencies who will pay you only through umbrella companies. They will say that you will be better off but it isn't true.

If you post on here to say roughly where you are in the country, other posters can PM to tell you which agencies they use and trust. We can't name particular agencies on here, but people can send you private messages.

You have to remember you are now in business and you have to remain professional but very firm with consultants.

Before you sign up to agencies be sure in your mind what you want and are willing to do: long term, day to day, general cover, specific subjects only, how far you will travel, specific schools to avoid etc.

If you read the New to Supply thread pinned at the top of this forum, you will get some tips and advice.

Welcome to the forum and all the best for January. You have started in what is traditionally a busy period, so you should get off to a good start.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Just over a year ago I asked the same question of the HR officer at my school but I wasn't following @Landofla's principles (even though I was UPS3 and happen to agree with getting a decent salary). My aim was to undercut the agencies who were being paid around £180-200 per day to provide a supply teacher. Also I would like contribute to Teacher's Pensions. So essentially that would be on the school payroll for a day (or whatever), not a problem for any HR.

The sum I should charge was calculated as £176.40 on-cost, which would have meant a salary of £140 a day coming to me (still with PAYE, NI to come off that).

Despite an intensive marketing campaign, a lot of emails and talking to a lot of HRs, I have not received one penny via that route:(.

I'm not disappointed as I've been paid quite well for 2017. I've discovered that there is a great shortage of Science/Maths teachers in West Yorkshire and so I have often received £195 via agencies to do this medium/long term. In terms of cash in the bank this works out at just short of £130 per day. Also I've barely been unemployed long enough to go round schools. Perhaps next half-term with access to a school printer I might be able to do it with proper letters to Heads and HR officers:) In Maths/Science I should be able to charge much more than £176.40 for medium/long-term.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Lucilla90

Lucilla90 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the very comprehensive replies, I really appreciate the advice. I have joined some local agencies based on the experiences of friends. I am open to any assignments, having left my job without another lined up and needing a bit of breathing space.

I have only joined agencies, so far, as they do PAYE and I want to avoid having to do a tax return for now, til I decide whether supply is the future for me.

pepper5 likes this.
  6. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Lucilla90

All the very best with supply teaching. If you do it for one week or for 10 years it will be an exciting venture for you and you will learn a lot. Best of all, it will give you that space you need.

JohnJCazorla likes this.