1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out value added?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by PinkHelen, Mar 18, 2012.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

I think this is best explained using examples:
    If a pupil in my class is targeting a grade B, and they achieve an A* then they are two grades above where they were targeting, so VA for that pupil is +2. If another pupil is targeting a grade C and gets a grade C, then they have a VA of 0. Finally, if another pupil is targeting a grade B and gets a grade C then they have a VA of -1. If those three pupils made up a class of three then the VA for the whole class would be 2 + 0 - 1 = 1 overall.
    So for your class I presume that if the grades are fail, pass, merit and distinction(?) then if a pupil was expecting a fail (on official school target grades) and got a merit then the VA would be +2, or +1 if they got a pass.
    I will add the caveat that VA is usually only worked out for the final exam grades that the pupils achieve, but if you are wanting to show progression from a starting point and fight your corner then I see no reason why you can't calculate VA in a small time frame - just make sure that when you show anyone the figures you explain/note that it is calculated to show the VA directly by you in the time you taught them (obviously if you do have final grades for the pupils then this is not a problem).

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

What for?

Why are you trying to make your life even more stressful?

As an NQT, your job is to gather evidence to show you have met the core standards (just like as a trainee your job was to gather evidence to show you'd met the Q standards.

Their "value add", might be part of that evidence, but as you're not intending to continue with your current school, who do you think cares?

When you get to another school, all that will matter will be the report the school has written and your comments on it - even that won't really matter much as your new school will make up its own mind about you meeting Core or not in the reports it will write.

You're just making yourself more work.

3. Hi,
    This is exactly what I wanted to know and is brilliant - thank you so much for taking the time to explain it to me. I am working on Fail pass etc and I want to be able to show progression in a small time frame and I do need to fight my corner despite the fact that I am leaving.
    It may be a little more work for me but it is important that i do this.
    Thanks for the replies,
    Jaime