1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Out- Tiredness and Motivation

Discussion in 'Personal' started by 700W, Jan 22, 2012.

1. I really can't be a r s e d at the mo but know I need to get back into exercising as I love eating too much and am piling on the pounds. I'm going to step it up once the evenings get lighter but am currently focusing on attending two gym classes per weekend. In the week I go about twice and just do a quick 30min cross trainer session so at least I'm doing something.

2. Maybe that's what I need to do -start small e.g. if I do half and hour then its better than nothing but no9t as exhausting as 90min. I am gonna go for a swim this eve- have it all arranged, bag packed etc

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hello. Just wanted to respond. I am not in the same situation currently (I try to work out almost every day and get quite down on myself/feel not at my best if a miss a few days).
    Previously though, I was into running and gradually built up to running 5 miles when I ran. The problem though was that I felt like I NEEDED to run 5 miles every time or I was shorting myself. SO, I started avoiding running when I felt I wasn't up to the whole 5 miles and gradually drifted away from running at all.
    Do you have to do a full 1hr 30 min workout to start back in? Anything that you do will be helpful and will get your momentum moving in the right direction again. Maybe try mentally telling yourself that you will do at least a 45 minute workout and your resistance will not be quite so strong. Once you are there, you may end up doing more. You can then start building back up as your energy and motivation kicks in.
    Best of luck.
    Oops. Crossed posts, but sounds good.

4. You can do it! [​IMG]
    Just don't have three pancakes with banana and nutella before you go. I very nearly [​IMG] in the gym this morn.

5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I would start smaller. 1h30 mins is a big target to set and you're likely to do it no more than once or twice a week - that's if you do it at all.
    I'm lucky enough to be only 5 mins from the gym, so I can go whenever I have a spare hour. Change, 30 min workout, home for shower and all within an hour. I know travelling time might make that more difficult - but could you aim for something simpler?
    I know that experts will say cardio exercise needs to be 40 mins or more to be worthwhile, but setting shorter targets until you get into a routine and start feeling more positive about it might be better. You'd almost certainly feel like going more often.

6. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Sorry, should have read whole thread first. I see it's already been said......

7. I think the trick is getting into the mentalty that it isn't a chore and that its something that you want to do because you enjoy it. Easier said than done I know!!!!
    What about finding a couple of fitness classes where you get interaction with lots of other people so that it becomes an enjoyable social activity along with a work out, e.g. Zumba, boxercise or aerobics? I run a lot but found that recently after about 8 miles my hip was aching a bit. Although I still do the running i've cut the mileage down so I thought that i'd take up a couple of classes to compensate and I love it. We have a nice social group and a giggle while doing it, I really look forward to going to them, much more than pounding the pavement on my own, particularly in this weather!

8. Could you afford a session with personal trainer? I picked up a card yesterday from the gym. he does a free initial consultation but also does an express (half-hour) workout, which would suit me. I have accepted though that I can't go during the week and try to go on Sat and Sun. Why do you have to do 1 1/2 hours?

9. I am having exactly the same problem too! Promised myself that from January 1st, I would exercise every day and I am yet to do it once. Two years ago I got seriously fit, went to the gym every day, was really full of energy and reasonably happy with how I looked. Since then though, I just haven't been able to get back into it. And I am so tired after work that I make excuses not to exercise. Its not even as if I have to go anywhere - I have a cross trainer upstairs and still don't have the energy to use it. The ridiculous thing is, I know I need to exercise more to have more energy, but its just not motivating enough!

Right, my plan is to be up at half five tomorrow morning, half an hour of exercise before I get ready for school. I have to take the class swimming tomorrow and I'm going in. Guess it'll be beached whale time!

10. I have a "Start Running" app. Basically it tells you when to run, when to walk, wehenyou've done 30 seconds, when there's only 10 seconds to go etc. It gradually builds up over a period of time. Maybe thats an idea. You start with 8 1 minute runs and 8 lots of walking. It even tells you when you are halfway and tells you to turn around and head for home!!

11. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

OP, What is your diet like?

12. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

I have just started using a gymstick. http://www.gymstick.net/
    It comes with a poster of 14 exercises and I did 20 of each yesterday after a 10 minute jog.
    I used to be much fitter and did circuit training, rowing and running.
    Just start off doing a little at a time and gradually build up.

13. Following a mild heart attack, nine years ago, I was faced with losing at least two stones in weight. In mitigation, though, a subsequent blood test did reveal that I had an under-active thyroid gland, so it helped when I started taking thyroxine. Nevertheless, at school, I was always one of those 'fat, wheezy boys with a note from matron', when threatened with exercise or team games, and my attitude to them has not changed. For me, exercise for its own sake is so tedious, I just could not stick to it.
    Seeking advice, I was told that making some form of exercise necessary, as part of your daily routine, might help. To this end, I did two things: firstly, I got a bicyle and rode to and from work, thus getting fit by saving time and money; and secondly, got a dog, which, of course, needed its daily 'walkies'. I had wanted to get a dog for years, but the late Mrs Dog was not keen; however, my 'pressing need' made her relent.

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

It sounds a bit like the summit trainer, kind of like a cross between the cross trainer and a stepper. Evil machine, but yes, burns loads of calories!

15. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I've just got a heart rate monitor in the hope it'll inspire me to work harder and 'beat' my last workout. I'll let you know if it works [​IMG] x