1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out the levels in art??

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by gedgast100, Nov 8, 2011.

1. Hi there
    I think you will find all your answers at the key stage 3 art and design standards exemplar, commissioned by QCDA at: http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/art-and-design/assessing-art-and-design/index.aspx

You will find examples of a projects for each level, they are all about 2 terms in length and have some annotations by the teacher, student and assessor.
    These were very well received and I believe are highly regarded by Ofsted.
    Levels are not age specified and you are not required to sub level, but rather than create fake sub level statements, you may want to just use the levels with three determining factors, Emerging, Able and Confident.
    Hope this helps.

2. Hi
    Sounds like you gave quite a full answer to the interview question. With regard to the actual levels, in my experience each school has its own expectations of the level they expect each age group to be working on, with progress based around a sub level per term. Again this is only from my personal experience. Its very confusing , I've worked in a selection of schools with hugely differing interpretations of the levels !

3. Hi yeah very confusing , i understand how to and havemarked pupils work throughout schemes of work and at the end of each unit but i just needed to be able to talk in more depth about how to set mid point reviews,targets,implementing understanding etc so im really trying to just absorb as much text book and individualised methodology as possible so i can show that i fully know understand and use a system that enables pupils to track their progress and know how to progress- but as you say so many different ways for so many schools! thanks for your help too

4. Lottes

Lottes New commenter

A bit of a minefield nationally I think... but a few key points that might help:
    You shouldn't level individual pieces of work; several areas/ skills should be demonstrated (see NC/ QCA websites http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-3-and-4/subjects/key-stage-3/art-and-design/Level-descriptions/index.aspx)
    By awarding a student a Level 6 their ability and standard of work should be equivalent to C/D boarderline GCSE student.
    The average level for end of KS3 for any subject is a Level 5/6. A student is (generally speaking) expected to progress 2 sub-levels a year (eg. 4b up to 5c, 5c up to 5a...) so you can work expected levels from this.
    Something to bear in mind re targets: Targets at some schools are not always generated by the teachers... they are 'worked out' from KS2 Eng/ Math/ Science!
    Producing 'student speak' criteria helps students' understanding - giving them specifics so they understand what to do to reach the next level. (In my opinion NC Level descriptors are rather vague!) We have pulled out elements from GCSE Assessment Objectives and NC to help give students a clearer understanding and prepare them well for KS4. Using the friendly criteria regularly (AfL) allows for continual review and therefore progression.
    Good luck.