1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out pro rated pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by messylittlemoneky, Jan 21, 2020.

1. messylittlemoneky

messylittlemoneky New commenter

Hi,

Just got TA2 role, full time 32.5 hours, paid for 44 weeks. Starting salary is £18,360 then I need to reduce it pro rata. Not sure how to go about it!

Thanks

2. ALANKNO86

ALANKNO86 New commenter

Im in the same boat trying to work out how the wage would work for an interview ive got soon. Mine is working 37.5 hours, paid for 39 and salary £23k. It's my first interview and first TA role so it's all new to me and not sure how to work it. its all so confusing!

3. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

In order to work this out you will have to know what is a full week in your LEA - probably 36.5 or 37 hours (don't forget that lunchtimes are not included in your paid hours except in very specific circumstances - and you are legally required to have a break if you work at least 6 hours - or that's what it used to be!) I wrote a very complicated method for this quite a long time ago and it makes my own brain ache to look at it now but it might give you a vague idea of how to work this out!

https://community.tes.com/threads/working-out-ta-pay.696541/#post-8475964

As I took voluntary early retirement nearly 18 months ago now I can no longer attempt to explain this more clearly - sorry. (perhaps I should actually try to simplify this as an activity to keep my brain alert!)

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@Ophelia 9 offers good advice and a sound formula for working out pro-rata pay. It's an eternal headache for TAs. My only suggestion is, once you've got the job and started work, make friends with the School Business Manager or whoever deals with salaries - they may be able to work it out for you.

Sadly, the only certainty is that it will be considerably less than the original salary quoted!