1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working out part time salary

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Saira23, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Saira23

Saira23 New commenter

I was wondering if someone could help me work out my part time salary? My school have been very supportive with my return to work next year, after being on maternity leave. I am going from full time on M6 (36,961) to 3 days a week. My contract stipulates that I will be working 60% of 1265 hours based on 15 hours of teaching of a 25 hour timetabled week. How do I work out my pro rata salary based on this? Many thanks in advance.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

60% x 36961.
    Your take-home will be proportionally larger, though, as the personal allowance will account for a bigger proportion of your salary.

Saira23 likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you look further down the page, there's a link to a take-home pay calculator. It hasn't been updated yet for this year, but will probably give you a ball-park figure.

Saira23 likes this.
  4. Saira23

Saira23 New commenter

Thank you so much. I found the take home calculator and it gave me the same figure that is stated in my contract. Thanks again.

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Are you working under STPCD terms? If so, that doesn't sound right. You are entitled to 10% of your teaching time as PPA, so if you teach for 15 hours, you should have another 1.5 hours PPA during the usual teaching day, making more than 60%. 60% works out roughly as 13.5 hours teaching and 1.5 hours PPA. (Roughly, as PPA is 10% of hours taught, so it would be 1.35 hours on a 13.5 hour timetable. Or am I misunderstanding your post. You should be teaching about 60% of the hours you taught when full time.

And, by the way, you might want to think about applying to go onto the Upper Pay Range.