1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working on your lawn this weekend?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't forget your hazmat suit.

[​IMG]

Man wins £226,000,000 in compensation after Roundup weedkiller caused terminal cancer

'The maker of Roundup weedkiller has insisted British consumers are safe to use the product after a US jury backed a groundsman’s claim the pesticide contributed to his terminal cancer. Dewayne Johnson was awarded 289 million dollars (£226 million) by a state jury in the US, who found manufacturer Monsanto had failed to adequately warn of the risks of using Roundup, which contains the world’s most widely-used herbicide glyphosate.'
    Metro.co.uk, 11th August 2018.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Many of these chemicals contain organo phosphates - they are very dangerous.

Must have been a very difficult case to prove though.

Typical American case if I may say so.

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I am indeed working on my lawn... or I was...

But I don't use that stuff... I'm not so freaked out that weeds in my lawn bother me so much.

Anyway right now it is mostly crispy brown.

agathamorse, colpee and nomad like this.
  4. Vince_Ulam

When I were lad the school fields would be periodically sown with these little, hard, grey spheres. Does anyone any idea what these might have been?

5. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Do scientists even know what causes non-Hodgkins lymphoma? My neighbour died of it last year and I don't think I've ever seen him do the garden much less handle a bottle of Round-up.

6. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Fertlizer?

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Almost certainly calcium ammonium nitrate granular compound fertilizer.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Fertiliser pellets

My once lovely lawn is in a terrible state at the moment

nomad likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Mammoth droppings?

10. Vince_Ulam

Thanks. Nitrate fertiliser, eh. More innocent time.

11. Vince_Ulam

If very small mammoths.

[​IMG]

12. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

You wouldn't use it on your lawn! - Although I do know someone who did, they were a bit miffed that they had to resow it.

13. Vince_Ulam

Is this the sort of stuff bad people use to make backpacks go boom?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I mowed and raked my lawn... got a lot of dead moss and grass out of it...

And the heavens have rewarded my efforts with a downpour... excellent...

agathamorse likes this.
  15. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

My once beautiful lawn has been ruined by my new dog when he wees on the grass. Lots of burnt spots. I've tried 'dog rocks' which do something to the dog's drinking water to prevent this burning, but they are rubbish.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

17. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Even though we have had some rain over the last week, our lawn still looks like Old Holborn, for the most part.

onmyknees and agathamorse like this.
  18. onmyknees

onmyknees Established commenter

Thanks @lanokia. I'll definitely give that a try. It has good reviews!

19. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We have Green Thumb come and see to our lawn several times a year - at least we haven't been all through a year yet but will have done by November. it has dried up in the heat but it is greening up again quite nicely. They spray on weed killer, fertiliser and do the raking and spiking that I used to do. I regularly killed the grass every Spring trying this myself so on the whole I'm happy.
    As for the health risks of chemicals in weed killer, Green Thumb may need to look at what they use. I wonder if the face masks they use are effective in protecting the operatives? One would imagine they were already aware of potential dangers but no doubt they will let us know if they are changing to a safer and more expensive chemical:rolleyes:

20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

No but you reminded me to fix my cheapo B&Q own brand nasty plastic mower.