1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working on a satirical TV pilot about teaching. Contributions?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by burnyhot, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Hi there!

I'm from BurnyHot media, an independent production company.

We're producing a short television sitcom to pitch to broadcasters which revolves around the life of a jaded secondary school teacher.

I reckoned that many of you here would have experience in teaching and probably some stories to tell from the classroom or some complaints about teaching today.

Worst school trip? Thoughts on the "powers that be"? Any interesting stories to tell?

Anything you could share would be fantastic -- we've been interviewing teachers locally for a while but TES seems to have some interesting characters about.

Thank you very much in advance. If you wish to contact me privately I can be reached at danny@burnyhot.com

KR

Danny Williams

Researcher

BurnyHot Media

2. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

HA Ha !!! You will find a rich vein of 'talent'on this forum !!
    If you put it on the 'Opinion' forum your email will be full by the end of the week.

3. ferrisbueller

ferrisbueller New commenter

Do you want the negative or the 'funny' ?
    Are you looking for.....
    Attempting to make lessons 'fun' and 'engaging' to an audience who would rather play on their mobile phones, chat incessantly about banalities, and not really give a toss about an 'education'. Listening to kids moaning "Sir, this is so booooriiiiing" or " I can't write" or "do we have to" when you've spent 3 hours of your own evening preparing a lesson to engage and inspire, resulting in near divorce with your other half, or worse still, ignoring the development needs of your own children, because you are too busy trying to develop other kids whose parents don't really !!!
    or......
    The constant pressure to reach 'targets'. Line managers constant pushing for ever higher and better results, when you know that the children you teach couldn't be *****. The results end up becoming more important to you and your career. The endless commitment to lunchtime 'coursework support' or 'study support' after school, resulting in any classwork and marking being done at home, where said wife is, quite rightly, yearning for a bit of attention.
    "Can you put the kids to bed"
    "Sorry love, I've got to plan loads of lessons and do all the work I couldn't do because I was 'supporting' students who couldn't actually do the work in the first place because they were lazy."
    Is this the kind of stuff, or are you looking for particular stories ?
    God, I hate my job!

4. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Would you like to know my daily rate for TV work?
    gruoch - member of BECTU

5. gruoch

Me, too. Experienced production managers don't come cheap [​IMG]

6. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Occasional commenter

I've witnessed a crisis in the staff room as coffee filters run out, and teachers desperate for a caffeine fix run around trying to decide whether it's better to ruin a tea towel or deal with the possibly toxic chemicals used to treat the paper hand towels in the toilets. It was even worse when the coffee supplt itself ran out.

7. Photocopier breakdown always causes problems, and ICT failures. Bee in the classroom will destroy a lesson. Kids who run past the staffroom and shout "***" at the slighty ajar door.

8. What type of school will it be set in? Independent? Comprehensive? Academy?
    Lots of fun to be had with the academy scene. Here are some of my experiences:
    Heads of department who call themselves 'director of...'
    Headteachers who talk about 'vision and ethos' and 'learning to learn'
    Pupils who complain about learning a language....'cos I'm never gonna go France anyway'
    Caretaker on a power-trip
    Trainee teacher who thinks they know best
    The hastily arranged year 9 trip to the cinema when OFSTED are in town
    Parents evening....oh the joy
    Being seen in town on a friday night by a bunch of your pupils
    Facebook friend requests from pupils
    Facebook friend requests from staff
    Facebook friend requests from pupils parents
    The list goes on...

9. gruoch

Not exclusive to Academies:
    Homer Simpson: Why should I learn English? I'm never going to England.
    My pupils (not an Academy): Why should we do English? We speak it.