1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working Notice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ImDownTheGymAgain, Sep 29, 2015.

1. ImDownTheGymAgain

ImDownTheGymAgain New commenter

Morning Theo,

What are the ramifications of leaving a job before you have worked your notice?
    I put my notice in 2 weeks ago and have stated I will be leaving on the 18th December, however the job is getting to me a bit more than I anticipated and I'm thinking of going sooner rather than later before I say or do something I regret. I do want to stay in teaching but this isn't the School for me?
    Any advise would be appreciated.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear, I am sorry that things are hard for you.

First of all - why 18th December? That is not one of the official leaving dates. Too late now for you, but for other posters - you should have said 31 December . . .

To leave earlier you need to talk with your HT and ask for an early release. If you are the only teacher able to teach A-level Physics, the HT will not be keen to agree to this. But it can sometimes be done.

So that would get you out of that school.

But it would make it very difficult to get into another school.

A non-standard leaving date looks fishy.

I'll be frank here. A school would have second and third thoughts about considering an applicant who left a school early, even if you weren't sacked but left of your own accord. And they may well suspect the former.

Most schools would be very reluctant indeed to take the risk of employing someone who had, basically, walked out on the job. Even if you teach A-level Physics . . .

So my advice here is to tell yourself that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, have a big chart in your kitchen where you can cross off the days, and stay until the end of term.

Oh, and write to the Head saying that you had worded your resignation incorrectly. You are resigning with effect from 1st January 2016, your last date of employment will therefore be 31 December, and your last date of presence in school will be 18 December.

ImDownTheGymAgain likes this.
  3. ImDownTheGymAgain

Hi,
    Thank you for that Theo, Yes I'm the only teacher in the subject, sorry I meant I'm leaving on the 18th but getting paid until 31st Dec. Yes a chart is a good idea, we used to use them when I was in the military on detachment, we called them chuff charts.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

5. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

As someone who was very much in your position a couple of months ago, I recommend that you work your notice. I desperately wanted to leave without serving my notice, but was threatened with legal action in my resignation response letter were i not to work my notice.

I did as Theo suggested and had a huge count down calendar in my house (and a tiny one in my teaching planner).Stick it out if you can. I know it seems impossible right now. I remember that dreadful feeling. But if you stay til the end, you will leave with a clear conscience, a shiny star for professionalism, a paid Christmas break, and a good reference.

6. barnaclebrain

barnaclebrain New commenter

I enjoyed teaching most at my school after having handed in my resignation. Suddenly the pressure was off and I began teaching the way I wanted to and the way I thought was most effective at getting the best out of the children.

Although senior leadership will still carry out observations and treat you like a normal member of staff, each scrutiny will feel less pressurising as you won't feel as though you have something to prove each time. Remain professional but enjoy it, time will fly.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent point, @barnaclebrain !

(The missing thumbs-up emoticon)

8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Barnacle brain has said it all. Remember, you will still need a reference from this school. Don't do anything goes to jeopardise that.

9. ImDownTheGymAgain

Thank you for all of your advise everyone, 2 more weeks to go to half term and my wife and I are off to our Scottish retreat, so counting down to that (SMART targets)