1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in UAE without a PGCE

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Samo93, Jan 23, 2019.

1. Samo93

Samo93 New commenter

Hi,
    Looking for a bit of advice from any teachers in the UAE. I’m looking to move to the Middle East and work as a teacher. I don’t have a pgce but do have an English degree. I’ve come across teacher training programmes by the UAE ministry of education and a company called *****. Anybody have experience with these programmes? Or anyone in the group teaching in UAE without a pgce that can offer advice?

Thanks

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There are lots and LOTS of threads on this but unfortunately they only ever seem to have people asking your questions and not others giving their opinions of the schemes from being employed there. "People go in, but no one seems to come out"

3. Samo93

Samo93 New commenter

I see what you mean. Thank you for responding.

4. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Established commenter

There is a new teacher in my friends school who I apparently doesn't have a PGCE - only a BA and Masters in the subject they teach and a CELTA. It's apparently got a few 'qualified' teachers in a bit of a tizz as the new starter is on the same salary.

You also do see jobs in the facebook groups that will accept only TEFL/CELTA qualifications, but I have no idea of the quality of the schools or salary.

Chew the Fat would definitely be an option though - but probably one you don't want.