1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in the USA

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Kaz_1978, Jun 29, 2020 at 3:55 PM.

1. Kaz_1978

Kaz_1978 New commenter

Hi

I am looking towards working in the USA in the next year or two/three. I am a secondary maths teacher with 10 years experience and in my career have had several promotions and have completed a middle management course - if that matters at all.
    Obviously making such a decision is big and will depend on a lot of factors.

I was wondering if anyone else had managed to make the move?
    I have a couple of questions if you don't mind me asking.

1. I have looked up several options in which companies offer support in ascertaining VISAs and such. Normally these companies only are able to assist you in working in certain states. I wonder if anyone has had more flexible opportunities, say finding roles in California or Florida. I bet they are much more in demand and harder to get.

2. The pay range is so much more spread than in the UK. Does anyone know where PGCE trained teachers would fall within a state's scales. Would it match the years in experience, or could you negotiate more. Does a PGCE allow you to ask for the +30 or +60 masters section on the scales? I'm not greedy but I do need to make it work financially for me and my family.

3. Has anyone made the move successfully and is willing to share their story?

4. Has anyone made the move independently of one of the companies such as Participate Learning and if so, how did you manage it?

Sorry for asking so many questions. Thanks in advance.

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Lots of info already in tes, try searching. Though the search function is not great you should find something.

3. Kaz_1978

Kaz_1978 New commenter

Hi. Thanks. I did search but nothing recent. There was one post but that only gives one perspective and I was wondering if that was a fluke or if that is the general consensus. Thanks.

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

5. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

It all depends what happens in November.

HeroForTheDay likes this.
  6. Kaz_1978

Kaz_1978 New commenter

7. Kaz_1978

Kaz_1978 New commenter

This is true. I understand it is hard to get VISAs into America but to be honest, I haven't read about any current manifesto changes.

8. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

9. Treesa

Treesa New commenter

A lot of teachers are employed with a J-1 visa which has currently been suspended until December. If the situation remains the same in the US with rising unemployment, and he is still in power, then renewing that suspension would seem likely. (This is already the rumour in the US apparently)

In order to teach locally, you need to undergo the state certification. A friend of mine has been doing this in DC while working in a private school and it's taken him 2 years.

Kaz_1978 likes this.
  10. RainbowWings

RainbowWings New commenter

2. It is not guaranteed that schools would recognise your years of experience outside the US and you may have to start at the bottom end of the scale. International (and possibly private) schools are more likely to recognise that experience.

agathamorse likes this.