1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in the US - checklist needed please!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by pink_hippoes, Apr 8, 2012.

1. pink_hippoes

pink_hippoes New commenter

Ive always wanted to work in the US everytime I have been there I have loved the country and the thought of teaching over there really excites me. I am hoping to try and secure one of the teaching exchange programmes through fulbright, but obviously need to talk to my head before going ahead with this.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a checklist of all the thing I need to do to put this plan into action? Also is it the best idea to talk to my head or should I wait until Im a little further along the process? If I dont get the Fulbright thing how would I go about getting a teaching job?

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks :)

2. pink_hippoes

pink_hippoes New commenter

Ive always wanted to work in the US everytime I have been there I have loved the country and the thought of teaching over there really excites me. I am hoping to try and secure one of the teaching exchange programmes through fulbright, but obviously need to talk to my head before going ahead with this.
    I was wondering if anyone could give me a checklist of all the thing I need to do to put this plan into action? Also is it the best idea to talk to my head or should I wait until Im a little further along the process? If I dont get the Fulbright thing how would I go about getting a teaching job?

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks :)

3. I suspect the reason you haven't had a response on this is that there is already so much on this forum about working in the US. Just do a search - you might not like what you read but at least its a starting point.
    With regard to the Fulbright Scholarships, they are exchanges for a fixed period of time and once they are over you have to leave the US and return to your home country to continue your work/research etc. Again have a look at the Fulbright site. I'm not Fulbright but I do know a few (not in education though) and I know competition for places is intense - you really have to be offering something exceptional to be part of the program. So if you are seriously considering this I would get your headteacher on board asap as well as anyone else influential to support your application.
    If VIF still exists that could be worth a try. Hope this helps if only just as a starting point.