1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

working in the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sun seeker, Jan 5, 2018.

1. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

Hi looking at jobs for headship. Seems decent pay but don't know about schools or cost of living. Any advice would be great. Thanks

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

3. kate harvey

kate harvey New commenter

Saw the Caymen ad for headteachers this week. It doesn’t include accommodation. Does anyone know roughly how much you would expect to pay for average, clean 2 bed?

4. dumbbells66

Check the site above

5. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Numbeo is great but also google 'Cayman Resident' and search for realtors in Grand Cayman and check their websites to see what there is.

6. 576

576 Occasional commenter

Perhaps be more specific - the caribbean is massive and all islands are unique.

7. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Established commenter

Generally that side of the world seems to be extremely expensive to live without the wages to match. They attract people who want a paradise but don't consider finances.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  8. dumbbells66

I was offered a job there years ago, and after i worked everything out, i would have been as just badly paid as i was working in the UK....while living in a very expensive part of the world. Make sure you do your sums before committing

9. 576

576 Occasional commenter

I worked in govt schools in cayman and once I was settled I was routinely sending £1000 home each month to pay off my UK mortgage. That was whilst also affording holidays in the USA. But it was also a few years ago.

10. tigi

tigi Occasional commenter

I have to confess I've never heard a good word said about cayman schools or kids. This isn't personal experience though.

dumbbells66 likes this.
  11. 576

576 Occasional commenter

That's the govt schools and they're not great. I don't have personal experience of the private schools there but believe they are much better (less pay but I'm happy with less pay if the job is easier and more enjoyable)

12. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter

Hi thanks all for your comments. What is the actual problems with the schools? I can assume some such as attendance is possibly a problem but what about curriculum, resources, staff attitudes and experience ?

13. sun seeker

sun seeker New commenter