1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Singapore

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by davidjones123, Jan 20, 2020.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Dear Forum,

I would like to teach in Singapore in the next year or so. I'm currently in the UK teaching with over 10 years experience. I'm just wondering: which are the good schools to apply to / look out for, what the general working conditions are like there and also the social side of things.

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Dave.

2. jazminecox

jazminecox New commenter

When I worked in Singapore, I enjoyed a good wage and a very high quality of life. I stayed there for just over a year. I worked at I CAN READ and LCentral, smaller private English schools, and unfortunately had very bad treatment at both. There was a lot of workplace bullying and a somewhat communist approach to things. If you do go, just be aware they are reluctant to change. It is also a very interesting society in that it is similar to the old caste system of India. You will find that certain races or cultural groups are associated with certain jobs. This is what I found hard to deal with. The blatant modern day slavery that exists and very few people brave enough to speak out against it.The white blue-eyed man is deemed as GOD there, however if you are a brown foreign woman, you may not enjoy the same benefits. If you are going for a change of scenery, just to be an extended tourist or save money, its great. But if you have ideas for social change or even changing your syllabus, just be aware that it won't happen. In summary, get in line and get on with the job or choose another country. Feel free to message me for more about my experience. Always optimistic, Jazmine.

3. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Singapore is amazing and also highly competitive in terms of job market. Several schools are still advertising but many advertised back in Oct/Nov.
    If you’re thinking of applying for 2020-21 session, do so ASAP.
    I haven’t taught in SG but would certainly consider it for the future. Our biggest turn off is the constant and never-ceasing heat

4. lifeinthe852

lifeinthe852 New commenter

Also, there are dozens of Singapore threads on here so do a search by scrolling down to the bottom of the page, click communities, then click search and deselect “all topics” and only select “teaching abroad” with Singapore as the key word.
    Good luck

5. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Singapore used to be called "Asia Lite" but it evolved into being a western city in asia. Too boring for my taste, but it is clean, great public transport, decent nightlife and clean easy living for westerners.