1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in silence!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Nov 18, 2019.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

Anyone else on supply ever been given this as an instruction? Are teachers having a laugh or what? It's hard to achieve with a good class. Bloody impossible with most classes! Especially when the one bit of paper with everyone's name on it has gone back to the office and you are their with 30 teenagers you don't know from Adam.

Reasonably quiet, so that the ones who want to get on with the poxy and uninspiring worksheet they've been given are not disrupted too much. That is about the best you can hope for. Otherwise you're on a hiding to nowhere!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

It is never a teacher that imposes silence, it is the school, from the head downwards, that imposes silence.

3. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

If the children are trained to do that for their normal teacher then it should be fine. At a decent school, in a top set, pupils can work in silence.
    If they won’t, I don’t worry. Why should a supply teacher have to deal with multiple sanctions for this? Low level chat in pairs isn’t bad.

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  4. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I sometimes ask for silence if a class has really got on my nerves...

I am selective about who I ask it from though...some schools there's no chance.

agathamorse and cathr like this.
  5. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Yes I was asked to do this yesterday on day to day supply. Period 7 Year 11.

Was never gojng to happen. I made no attempt to use warnings etc. In case this - which could be seen as a challenge to young peoples' rights to ignore learning opportunities and simply chat and or argue - might upset or irritate young people and as a result I am never asked back to the school.

Reading this back it sounds pretty sad but this is where I'm at right now and it could well be the best approach to stand the best chance of any work.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Period 7 - ugh.

MissGeorgi, tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  7. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I was in a Y5 class this morning and the children were quietly working away. The HT popped in and said “well done” to the class for being so quiet. Brownie points for me.

8. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

There is nothing wrong with working in silence to get the work done. It isn't always imposed by HTs. It is not impossible to achieve. There are times when children need to chat and times when they need to be quiet and do some work!

agathamorse, pepper5 and Jesmond12 like this.
  9. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

Ah yes indeed digoryvenn. Not so long ago, when I was a permanent, I got this, even though with some classes it was a power struggle.

Now, as a supply, given my recent experiences, I have learned that it - attempting to enforce " whole school behaviour policies"- is, simply not worth it. Not if one needs to make ANY money from supply.

Isn't always imposed by HTs.
    Well OK Dig, if this has been your experience, you have been lucky...

agathamorse likes this.
  10. lovejoy_antiques

I had year 10 period 5. Let's just say they were lively. I was nervously asked how they were by the head of dept (I think the group has a reputation). I said they were fine. This led to the head of dept thinking I was really good and being asked back tomorrow. If I'd have sent a stream of kids to her room for various breaches of the school rules I'm sure her opinion would have been different!

Someone once said to be a good teacher you have to be a good actor. I now interpret this to mean pretend everything is ok even when it isn't! It's all about positive spin. Just read the BS on the website of your local hell hole comprehensive about the world class education they offer! Everyone is at it!

agathamorse and tonymars like this.
  11. lovejoy_antiques

Totally agree. Your experiences match my own. We're there to solve a problem not create one (or even flag one up)!! The last thing any manager wants to do is manage any bad behaviour. That's why they climbed the greasy pole, to get as far away from the kids as possible and to have gathered enough status to ward off most kids inclined to try it on. But don't worry, they are always keen to do a twilight cpd to tell you how to do the job they scurried away from!

agathamorse, MissGeorgi and tonymars like this.