1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Qatar

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by portomna, Jan 28, 2016.

1. portomna

portomna New commenter

Hi all

Have decided to move to Doha / Dubai in the summer and looking at various primary schools now.

I currently have an interview lined up for 'The Cambridge School, Doha' but have seen a few mixed reviews and one or two horror stories. Can anyone shed any light on these stories? Is the school as bad as some have made out? Is the accommodation provided really that bad??

Any information would be greatly appreciated

2. davidbowiefan

davidbowiefan Established commenter

3. davidbowiefan

Check your messages, portomna.

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Ho hum. Yet another post on the Teaching Overseas forum that mentions a specific school. Fortunately, those kind and gracious TES Moderators probably will not notice this faux pas because they are too busy writing epic poetry / reading a Russian novel or J.P. Hartley's Fly Fishing / completing The Times crossword / discussing the meaning of life / trying to describe the inside of a pingpong ball or whatever the TES Moderators do all day. In any case, it is probably okay to say what a ******* of a school Cambridge is because, as davidbowiefan no doubt knows, the TES article mentions this splendid educational institution by name. (Mere mortals like the rest of us are not allowed to write the names of particular schools, portomna.) Sauce for the gander?

dljames2013 likes this.
  5. davidbowiefan

A dodgy school might well tell candidates that reviewers are nasty people who are just out to get them. But the candidates should bear in mind that TES wouldn't risk legal action unless they had verified their sources. I don't think there is another school in existence which has been named by TES as one to avoid and as the hippo notes, posts in which schools are discussed by name are normally deleted. Ignoring such a blatant warning would be foolishness personified.

6. davidbowiefan

Unfortunately this isn't the case.

Even thought the article I quoted from was published in TES, my posts are now being moderated.

7. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

davidbowiefan, it does seem a bit unfair that the TES Moderators can name names, but mere mortals like you and I are not allowed to have this privilege. What is particularly unfair and unreasonable is the fact that there are plenty of other schools in Qatar that were just as bad as the Cambridge, but they did not get a blasting in the TES. The scientific apple schools and those institutions where fat is chewed are just as bad, if not worse.

davidbowiefan likes this.
  8. davidbowiefan

It is all very odd, the hippo.

9. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

It isn't, really. In the early days of the Forum the prohibition against naming names was only loosely enforced. Then there came a period when the moderators became much more palpably nervous about the slander issue. We live in an era when American style litigation is fast becoming the norm in the UK and Messrs Sue Grabbit & Runne are enjoying the boom. (Think of the large number of ambulance/ hearse-chasing lawyers who now infest British TV commercials). I believe TES has received threats of legal action not only from schools but from individual members of the Forum. No doubt the article on the Cambridge school was carefully vetted by the TES legal eagles. All totally understandable but it makes for a very bland diet compared with the cut-and-thrust of yesteryear.

10. davidbowiefan

I'm afraid you've misunderstood. The school was described by TES and not by me.

See the link to the TES article in post 2.

11. Mainwaring

I didn't misunderstand and I didn't think the school had been described by you. I challenged your (and hippo's) suggestion that the TES's behaviour was 'odd' i.e. inconsistent with its published policy on naming schools. The TES moderators have frequently stated that naming is not tolerated because TES cannot investigate every school criticised on the Forum. TES would certainly have legally vetted its own article before publishing it.

12. davidbowiefan

You are arguing for the sake of arguing.

Enjoy.

13. Mainwaring

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  14. davidbowiefan

There is ample voluntary work available for people who have too much time on their hands.

15. Mainwaring

My apologies. I hadn't realised that you were unemployed.

16. dash201

dash201 New commenter

Whilst tweedle dee and tweedle dum swish their Michael Kors and Gucci at each other, I will get back to the topic.

From those I have spoken to that have worked at the school, it is pretty much to be avoided. Specific reasons were not given but I have heard the pay scale is very unfair and the conditions are not the nicest.

I couldn't recommend this school at all.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  17. Mainwaring

'Whilst' or 'while?' Either way, the witticism was a five-and-a-half days incubating.

stopwatch likes this.
  18. adnanlondon

adnanlondon New commenter

is basic pay of 11000 QR any good for petrol schools plus benefits.
    Please advise.

19. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Not particularly. My understanding is that the petroleum schools normally pay well. A top of scale teacher in a well paying school should be on around 16,000 at least. Obviously if you have less experience, it will be less than this.

20. adnanlondon

adnanlondon New commenter

Many thanks . Can I pm you please