1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Qatar any advice or guidance please

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sarahlouisehutt, Mar 6, 2016.

1. sarahlouisehutt

sarahlouisehutt New commenter

Hello, I'm considering working overseas in Qatar.
    I would be grateful of your experiences working in Qatar. Its a big move and want to ensure its the right move for me.

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Start a conversation with a hippopotamus.

3. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

It really depends on the school and the package. Working abroad is not an easy option the hours can be long and the workload extreme. It is a business rather than a school and that is something to bear in mind. Behaviour can be a real challenge and there is no SEN support. You have no union if there is a problem and you are reliant on your employer as your sponsor. If your employer decides to change your contract terms etc there is nothing you can do. The school can even revoke your contract and ask you to leave. In this situation you are unable to apply for any other job in Qatar as you have to be able to get a NOC form from your current employer which is like permission to move jobs. It has been reported this is being abolished but who knows when. You also have to get an exit permit to leave the country which is generally not a problem for vacations but if you have an emergency at home and the school do not want you to leave there is nothing you can do.

Qatar itself depends on the individual some people find it claustrophobic and boring but I like living here. You do have to adjust - the roads are crazy, the locals do have a superiority complex and as an expat you have no rights. Shopping and eating are the biggest pastimes. It can be frustrating at first as there is little you can do without your Residency Permit and these can take a while. So no bank account, wifi, car hire etc until it arrives. Despite this it can be a good move - depending on your package you should be able to save and travel is relatively cheap.

So as long as you are adaptable and can learn a great deal of tolerance it is an ok place to be.

4. the hippo

Some good advice from crinauk.

Don't work for a school that may turn out to be a rotten apple.

5. flock1

flock1 New commenter

I currently work in Doha as a teacher. The simple fact is this: there a few good schools, a few more OK schools and lots of bad schools.

Doha is not as bad as some make out, but after a while, you end up doing the same things and seeing the same people again.

But the travel potential is great, and of you're not a fan of the rain, then it can be a blessing (though it has rained here for the last few days.)

Do your research, and pick one of the good schools.

6. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Travel where from Doha is great? You can fly to Asia I suppose like Bangkok. I was in Doha for about a week and I got put in the nick for kicking a foreign currency shop's door cos they had just closed, I needed money urgently and they were laughing so I kicked the door and they called the police! They took me down from the prison to the judge each day and after about the third visit to the judge, he let me go. I will never go to that f@@k@@g ecpensive restaurant/bar country again. It's **** anyway.Nothing to do except drink and eat

7. the hippo

The traffic situation in Doha is not getting better.

8. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

Hi I've been offered a job in Qatar don't want to state where as the town will give away the school. Can I PM to ask about life in that area as it's close to Doha. Thanks

9. the hippo

As you probably know, ea123, Mrs Hippopotamus and I were in Doha for five years. It is not everybody's cup of tea.

Al Khor is a bit quieter and laid back, but it is very much a "company town" and that might not suit everyone. Singles will no doubt prefer the bright lights. On the other hand, you will probably get offered a villa, whereas nearly all teachers in Doha are living in apartments. Although apartments might be find for singletons, families need more space and often your apartment block is just an apartment block, with nowhere for the children to play. The larger apartments, the ones more suitable for families, are often on the ground floor and so your children might not be able to sleep at night because of the noise.

Even though in some ways Al Khor is a much better option if you have a family, it does mean that buying a fairly reliable car is more or less essential. Driving in Doha is not for the timid. Taking your car to be repaired and getting it through the technical inspection (Qatar's equivalent of the MOT) will both mean trips to the Industrial Area. Oh dear.

10. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

It's not in al khor. I'll contact you to discuss more. Sounds very similar to al khor but could be worse :)

11. the hippo

There is a messy place (no, I cannot name it) and I have heard on the grapevine that air pollution is a problem there.

12. tedpop

tedpop New commenter

I am in Doha at the minute, and I don't mind it. I'm approaching my third year here; although things get a tad repetitive, the social scene is good and I think I have a much better work/life balance. I agree that travel opportunities are good - flights to India, Maldives, Philippines, Nepal, Sri Lanka, UAE, Jordan, Oman and Africa are all quite cheap (the list could go on but I'll stop myself), but these low prices are cancelled out by the price you pay to live on a day-to-day basis. Booze, rent and food are all at a premium, and petrol has just gone up to 25p a litre (it was a scandal when it happened).

If you're talking about one of the oil schools, in one of the oil towns (********, Dukhan), then your package is bound to be above Doha average. You can spend that extra on a night at a hotel when you come to the city for some fun! I've never heard bad things about the oil schools, I've just heard that people long for a bit of craic when they're posted out there. And I agree with The Hippo that ******** is really grubby - I went exploring those parts of the country and my asthma went from 0-100 pretty sharpish. That's saying something when the Doha sky is usually a grey-yellow colour because of pollution.

13. musikteech

There's nothing to do in Doha except eat and drink in fancy hotel restaurants.

14. musikteech

Same as Dubai except Dubai is full of dodgy looking women in bars

15. sweetlips2

sweetlips2 New commenter

Hippo
    I've been offered a job at the Doha Academy - Secondary. Any advice - what is good pay?

16. the hippo

Yes, I do have some advice. My advice is this: do not name specific schools or the TES Moderators will delete the thread!

17. sweetlips2

sweetlips2 New commenter

Hippo how do I PM you?

18. yaadman307

yaadman307 New commenter

I've been offered and accepted position with a school in Doha but I'm having second thoughts as the salary is quite low. Can I back out now? What's a reasonable salary? I've been teaching for 8 years.

19. Roseea123

Roseea123 New commenter

I think the salary depends on the whole package. I've found that with the extras added it changes the basic salary and ends up being quite a good amount. It just depends what they are offering and what your spend will be.

20. crinauk

crinauk New commenter

You can back out whenever you wish as there is nothing they can do !

As far as I know up to 6 years 13000 then 6 - 10 years 15000 and 10 years plus 18000 hen teh package on top however most schools are now cutting back because of the economy.

TeacherPure likes this.