1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in northern Cyprus

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Plekhanov, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Plekhanov

Plekhanov New commenter

Hello,

A school with strong accreditation in the city of Kyrenia seem really keen on me but the whole process is going so quickly that I feel suspicious and apprehensive. The day after I applied I was invited for a preliminary Skype interview, and now the day after that I've been invited to the next 'round' and they would even Skype interview the same day if possible.

Has anyone worked in northern Cyprus before? At a school in Kyrenia that feels to be synonymous with 'English'? I don't want to miss an opportunity by being overly cautious but at the same time, something feels strange.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If they are slow, people are concerned that they are disorganised.

If they are quick and efficient, and want to ensure that they don't lose you to a competitor, (that's a compliment, surely? ;)), then you feel suspicious and apprehensive!

Mind you, the whole Moving Abroad process is bound to be fraught with misgivings, so I can understand how you feel.

Just look at a school, any school. Does it seem to be a poorly-funded set-up in portacabins, or a purpose-built educational institution? Does it have good pupil numbers, or just a couple of hundred? Is its web site scrappy and amateurish, or is it informative, with lots of communications to parents (in English as well as the language of the home country). What about its exam results? Where do its pupils go on to - good unis in UK? Look at the photos - are there lots of the pupils engaged in extra-curricular activities? Are there good sports facilities on site?

All these things might help you make a decision.

N.B. you are right to be cautious and not to name - or suggest - any individual school, as that would be against the rules.

Best wishes

3. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I've seen them advertise in the past and never heard any horror stories about them. It's a Cobis school so it should have had at least some checks done. Probably legit.

4. Plekhanov

Plekhanov New commenter

Thanks. Yes they do have strong accreditation which is what attracted me to the school in the first place.

It would be good to hear from anybody who has lived/worked in northern Cyprus as the political situation is also a concern.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have visited, not lived or worked.

Apart from the armed guards at the frontier - which you don't see any more in mainland Europe (at least, not the places that i go to!), it is peaceful.

It feels safe. There is little or no graffiti. The traffic is a tad chaotic. People are very friendly. It feels like Spain 40 years ago, before tourism.

Best wishes

6. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

While I think it's certainly the second best side of Cyprus there's nothing to suggest it's not safe to live there. Yes there have been terrorist attacks recently in Turkey, but targets generally seem to be military and Turkish Cyprus seems to have had none of this.

7. pixiewixiepixie

pixiewixiepixie Occasional commenter

To get a whole picture, use many sources e.g. use the (paid for) International Schools Review, search YouTube, Facebook, their own website, student forums, Google etc.

8. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

The north is quite lovely. Spent a lot of time there though not lived there. We lived in the south for a time when I was younger. I still have family there. I wouldn't live in the south again but would happily live in the north.

9. tica

tica New commenter

North Cyprus is not recognized as a legitimate republic by the British Government. How that affects Brits living/working there I have no idea but I would certainly do some research before accepting a job there. I know that British airlines are not allowed to fly there so travel will be through Istanbul. We live in the south of the island and can travel reasonably freely to the north and parts of it are beautiful.

10. diviet

diviet New commenter

Hi, Piekhanov, I worked and lived in North Cyprus for 2 years and I was a teacher at the school that you mention. I had a wonderful time and the school is good. There are no issues whatsoever about being British and working in North Cyprus whether it is recognised by the UK government or not. Travel does not have to be through Istanbul, I flew in and out of Larnaca regularly. Kyrenia is a beautiful town and the lifestyle is very relaxed. If you would like more information please pm me. I certainly hope to go back there at the end of my career.

11. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

Hello plekhanov - how did things work out? Did you take the job in this school?

I am currently proceeding with an application there and wondered how you'd gotten on....

12. skeptucator

I now have an interview in this school on Friday... another plea for any further insights?

13. ejclibrarian

@skeptucator I've got friends working in Girne/Kyrenia. I'm not sure what the school is called but if you want to pm me you can tell me the name of the school and I can see if I can get some info for you.

14. skeptucator

Yes! That's the school... please could you do that for me? My interview is tomorrow morning. Thank you so much.

15. ejclibrarian

Sent you a message

skeptucator likes this.
  16. sunshine_desserts

sunshine_desserts New commenter

HI guys, i'm thinking of moving to Cyprus to teach. What are your experiences? thank you

17. ejclibrarian

North or South?

18. sunshine_desserts

sunshine_desserts New commenter

South. Thanks.

19. charb74

charb74 New commenter

Hi skeptucator. How did the interview go? Did you make it? :)

20. ejclibrarian

I have some knowledge of schools on both sides. Let me know if you want info.

charb74 likes this.