1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in New Zealand in 2019

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by SUPER.SUPPLY, Oct 11, 2019.

1. SUPER.SUPPLY

SUPER.SUPPLY Occasional commenter

Good afternoon everyone,

I know this thread exists elsewhere but it is a very old one (well 3 years) and I was wanting to find out exactly what it is like in 2019. The recruiters are in town so to speak and I just wanted to find out if anyone has re located in the last couple of years and whether there is an age embargo there? Did the school sort out your visa? Im single and ready to move and have no ties.

thank you all

SS

p.s. I won't mention the name of the school who are recruiting but I would love to know which ones and what locations to avoid.

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I think due to the low wages and extremely high cost of living they find it very difficult to recruit teachers there. I always see the same schools hiring and the the government are offering grants as far as I'm aware. I would research things thoroughly beforehand. Australia on the other hand currently have a wait time of approx 22 months on independent visas and that's if you can get one which you almost certainly can't as a teacher.

That's 22 months on top of the wait time to be invited too which can be 2 years even if you qualify.

3. SUPER.SUPPLY

Thanks, that's a great answer. I will go back and have a look at the spec and no wages were actually quoted. That'll be the reason why. However, I believe it is job satisfaction that is key to this also. Would it be a wise move to teach over there. Surely, it cannot be as dire as here? Can it?

4. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

I moved over at Easter, although my visa was obtained on the back of my partners... She had a talent visa from an accredited employer, although the visas have all just changed.

My work life balance is a lot better, just coming to the end of the 2 week spring break and had virtually nothing to do over it. A complete contrast to the UK!

The cost of living is generally on par with the UK, although supermarkets are slightly more expensive. Rents have shot up in recent years, so get a feel by looking on TradeMe at what you could get.

Anything else, just ask!

5. SUPER.SUPPLY

Thank you. ATM I pay £800 rent for a one bed flat, then 120 council tax even with a single discount. Altogether £1050 before I even begin to live comes out of the wages. Surely, if a school wants you they will sort out the sponsorship and Visa? What does your partner do? Im assuming she is a teacher, or is it you? Lots of questions, sorry.

6. Mlockwood81

Mlockwood81 New commenter

She's a commercial and finance manager for a construction company, so we flew through the visa process.

There is a grant available but its not much, NZ$5000 (about £2500), I assume to cover the cost of the visa, medical and airfare but not much will left after that. You can find more info here:

https://www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-trained-teachers/

I don't know if you can apply if going via an agency. I would look in to it and not just take the agency's word for it.

You can do the full teacher application yourself. I don't think any agency would be able to "help" with the visa application unless they are an authorised immigration agent.

I could see a school in Auckland maybe assisting you if you teach a shortage secondary subject but I'd imagine you will have to do a lot yourself still. It's not like jobs in the Middle / Far East where a lot of schools are actively recruiting for foreign teachers. All jobs are listed on:

https://gazette.education.govt.nz/vacancies/#

We moved to Gisborne on the East Coast, slightly cheaper than the rest of NZ (although has shot up in the last year) and pay $500/week (£250ish) for a 4 bed detached house with a reasonable garden and small pool. That includes their council tax and water bill though.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
  7. SUPER.SUPPLY

School is definately in Auckland. I've looked at the rent there and it is the same as here. 1 bedroom was at least 400 in the suburb where the school was per week. I will see what occurs in a couple of weeks when I meet with them. Not the school but the recruitment agency.

8. mrswallow

mrswallow Occasional commenter

Don't move to Auckland. There are other, cheaper places to live in NZ. Some rural schools will have subsidised housing. I've always managed quite nicely on a teacher's salary in NZ. Got a mortgage and a family too. Work/ life balance is better. (I have a sneaky suspicion that some teachers born and raised here in NZ regard it as 'terrible' and work in international schools with T0nyGT and he gets a wee bit of sampling bias. Most of the teachers I know who have moved here from the UK cope on the salary, and regard the work/life as amazing compared to the UK... )

9. SUPER.SUPPLY

Anything is amazing, compared to the circumstances that I have worked under in the last 2 years. Thank you for the advice about Auckland. Some have suggested Wellington to me also.

10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Oh, I don't doubt that it's a great place to work. It's just that the combination of Auckland prices and teacher salaries would make living comfortably very difficult.

I keep hearing nice things about Gisborne. It's one of those strange things you hear nothing about for 30 years and then suddenly seem to see it mentioned frequently. Looks beautiful too.

11. mrswallow

I wouldn't know about Gisbourne, although I too hear that it is 'nice'. Art deco a go-go apparently. Auckland just sounds dreadful to me, but about a quarter of the population of NZ live there so I've heard.. Pricey, congested and over-crowded. I've always felt that moving from the UK to NZ and then going to Auckland is - well, not exactly pointless, but...

You give up some things living in the rural parts of S. Island*, but you get your life/ work balance much more skewed towards 'life'.

* Insert usual ex-pat lists here..

12. SUPER.SUPPLY

i thought tony may be winding me up about Gisbourne as I googled the place and read about some schools in decline. But they are high schools mainly which is not my thang.

13. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

What is the supply teaching scene like in NZ? I have done all my applications for teacher registration etc, just waiting on a job but I’m not a shortage subject so not holding my breath.

Now thinking about coming out in the new year and doing supply work as a foot in the door. Not sure if that’s possible though?

14. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Just like in Australia.... Highly possible if you can buy a car out right. As you will be sent all over the place...... AND have a year's worth of disposable savings covering rent, food, utilities, petrol.... Well..... Pretty much everything you need to live.

daisy1603 likes this.
  15. mrswallow

Let the Education Gazette Vacancy page be your first port of call. There's heaps of fixed term jobs available at the moment it seems. *Goes back to idly job hunting*

16. daisy1603

daisy1603 Occasional commenter

I’m with Education Personnel so they are putting me forward for jobs, just don’t seem to be getting anywhere though. It’s very hard not being in control of my own applications!

17. mrswallow

I'd continue to post out your own applications to be honest.

daisy1603 likes this.