1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Malaysia

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by brendon2001, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Wow thanks for the quick response! It is for the Saintly school. I think we will put an application in and see what happens.
    Thanks again!

2. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Malaysia is a great place to be, if you're prepared to adapt. Those that don't enjoy working in Malaysia tend to be the ones who expect Malaysia to adapt to them. By all means stick with the expat crowd, if you want a dull time, but widen horizons and get close with locals to get the best out of your stay.
    As to the schools, whilst a mixed bag, if you can grin and bear the lesser schools, they're ten to the dozen here, to be fair I view even they can prove a worthwhile venture. Those on higher climbs are pretty well respected, despite the odd bit of nonsense said about them. A kan do underlying perspective is good for you. Some schools are a bit make believe and the quality over exagerated; whilst some employees grin like a cheshire cat others see though it.
    Pay varies from school to school, but you can live on very little here. Indeed, working for a little less in some cases can prove a far more enjoyable experience; with those offering the higher salaries not always being the best places to work for.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

What do you teach? Have you been to Penang before? It's not everyone's cup of tea.

4. Know nothing about the school but been there once or twice. I thought the place had some real charm. Great food! Might start thinking about there now I've missed out on Singers :(