1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Kenya -Narobi

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by appadookatie, Jan 27, 2019.

1. appadookatie

appadookatie New commenter

Hey all,
    Any advice about living in Narobi please. Pay that should be expected? Medical insurance a must? Is safety a big issue (it sure seems that way from the British foreign office website...)

2. 576

576 Established commenter

Well, Kenya has been attacked 3 times in the last 6 years so yes, safety is a concern.
    Having said that if you live in Karen or Westland and take sensible precautions you'll probably be OK.
    Yes, medical insurance is necessary unless you want to go to the local clinics.

3. epicrates

epicrates New commenter

I have lived and worked in eight countries including Brazil (which is bloody dangerous ). I would never consider Nairobi - Ultra dangerous! In any event, a decent employer would provide full Health Insurance as part of the offer. It is necessary Most, major tropical parasite diseases are endemic and Kenya has a terrible HIV problem in all age groups .

4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

There have also been major terror attacks in London. It can and does happen anywhere.

Yes you will need full medical insurance. However Nairobi is one of the places I would be transferred to if I needed better medical care than my African country can offer. That is assuming it wasn't too complicated. Major it would be S Africa or possibly Middle East.

Again full medical insurance is needed anywhere.

Have only visited Nairobi on holiday, but it seems like a reasonable place to be... Hey, they actually have supermarkets with stock! I gather you don't walk anywhere, so would need to ask about transport. Great travel opportunities from there.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Who cares about terrorists when you have a matatu heading straight for your car, on the wrong side of the road? Actually, the only thing more dangerous than the drivers in Kenya are the roads (or what are supposed to be roads). And what is the point of worrying about explosions when you are much more likely to get malaria or bilharzia or be bitten by a mamba or have your little 4WD Suzuki squished by an elephant?

Despite all of the dangers, Mrs Hippopotamus and her overweight husband enjoyed their two years in Kenya. But that was when I was a younger and even more foolish hippo.

rouxx likes this.
  6. cg4321719

cg4321719 New commenter

I do love the way you write. Looking at Kenya. Is there work for a partner who is not a teacher; he is currently working at a school in Egypt. Thanks for your thoughts.

7. the hippo

cg4321719, it might be a bit of a problem. Some careers are more portable than others. Could your partner work online?

8. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Malaria isn't (or at least wasn't in the 80s/90s) an issue in Nairobi - it's too high for the right kind of mosquitos or something... we never took anti-malarials unless we were going down to the coast/on safari at lower altitudes. Bilharzia you get via a worm that burrows through your feet, usually when in fresh water - so don't go wading in dams/rivers and stick to hotel swimming pools and the sea, and you'll be fine (that said, I spent much of my youth swimming in farm dams, rivers, etc in Kenya and never got so much as a leech bite). Though I conceed Hipp's point - you are far more likely to fall victims to these things that be a victim of terrorism.... though if it comes to that you are more likely to die falling off a chair than any of the above!

My mum went over as a trailing spouse. She started volunteering in an orphange, then did a Montessori course via correspondance (this was in the 80s - no e learning!) and eventually got a work permit that allowed her to work in private kindergarten. No idea what the rules are now about spouses getting work permits once in country.

9. the hippo

Yes, malaria is not a problem in Nairobi (or "Nairobbery", as it is often called). But who needs mozzies when you've got muggers? Some of my new colleagues at the B**** School were held up at gunpoint in a Chinese restaurant. They pulled wedding rings off the ladies' fingers and even took one guy's pair of trainers, leaving my colleagues with some sweet and some very sour memories of their first week in Kenya.

In my Year 5 class I had a sweet Asian student, a lovely girl. Her home was robbed. They beat up the father in front of the children, threatened to rape the older girl and threw the baby over a wall. Then the Police arrived and shot dead three of the robbers in the back garden. But my student still came to school the next day and she handed in her homework.

When I wrote a piece about teaching in Kenya, the TES editorial staff cut out the two little stories I have just related because they only wanted teachers in the UK to get a rosy, happy picture. So much for journalistic integrity! The TES invented "fake news" long before Donald Trump.

10. claytie

claytie New commenter

Karen isn’t a haven, either. Still very primitive and edgy. The Head of a well-known international school was shot through the head in broad daylight there, a year or so ago. The pollution is horrific. Old bangers pumping out clouds of smoke. No vehicle checks there.

11. 576

576 Established commenter

Most people don't think that was random though.
    I know the main suspect was found not guilty but the election result was also found to be a farse.

12. Pina_Colada

Pina_Colada New commenter

Which area will you be teaching in? I teach and work in Karen and it's OK. However my first month there I heard what I though was fireworks but it was some getting robbed and shot. I have never been robbed but I don't go anywhere other than to work or the mall. However I have been robbed by the police many times.