1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Egypt

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by sun5hine, Dec 24, 2018.

1. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

A school has come up and I would be interested to know if it is a good place to work at. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

2. glenister_kj

glenister_kj New commenter

That’s an extremely vague question. May have to be more specific (but don’t mention school name)

3. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

The capital is in the title along with new.

4. hplovegame48

hplovegame48 New commenter

Pm me and I'll let you know.

sun5hine likes this.
  5. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

I wouldn't recommend working in Egypt, full stop.

hplovegame48 likes this.
  6. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

for some reason I cannot PM you

7. Jason_Bourne_

Its because you're a new commentor...

8. hplovegame48

In very simple terms, I would strongly advise do not under any circumstances as you will regret it.

9. Jason_Bourne_

So that's now two people who have advised you not to move to Egypt...

10. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter

Maybe just ask yourself why that particular school has so many vacancies....

11. JAFF23

JAFF23 Occasional commenter

There are definitely better places to work.

12. hplovegame48

Clearly, all the people looking for an escape route found the tunnel.

13. Jason_Bourne_

But why would they be looking to escape in the first place?

14. Jason_Bourne_

I'm sure you've heard about today's bombing near the Giza Pyramids. Very sad indeed!

hplovegame48 likes this.
  15. hplovegame48

Was up at Giza at the start of September. Security was lacking to say the least. No surprise. I suspect tourism will take a massive hit again.

16. sun5hine

sun5hine New commenter

It is such a shame about Giza. I was there in March. Anyways thank you all for the feedback. Much appreciated.

17. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Got back from there 3 days ago. Had lots of fun in Egypt and certainly their tourist industry was already struggling to recover from the last big terrorist attacks. This won't help. I certainly wouldn't work there though. The school parties I saw out and about on trips were a fu***** nightmare behaviour wise.

ejclibrarian likes this.
  18. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Egyptian students can be a tough bunch to teach.

19. NineInchSails

NineInchSails New commenter

I started working in Egypt this school year, and have to say I enjoy living in Cairo. I'm male, have Arab features and visited here before. That probably effects my views. In addition, I have lived overseas for about 15 years now, and am used to the family calls to latest CNN hysterical breaking news.

Having said that, teaching here has made me consider quitting teaching. Everyday is fighting and arguing. Every single inch is a fight. You do not teach, you argue. Then you meet/email/talk to the parents and you understand. Lying to your face about everything, even when they know you have the truth sitting in front of you. Everything is negotiable, you see, so if little Mohammed didn't hand in a paper then all you have to do is yell at the teacher enough until you get 100%,

You ask a kid to move her desk 2 inches to the right, she scoffs at you because her nanny does that for her, how dare you ask her to lift a finger, you'll be hearing from her mother! It's disgusting.

There are great kids here, as there are anywhere. I want to focus on them. But the general culture here is terrible. Lazy, incompetent, entitled, greedy, argumentative, insulting, lying. I don't care if this makes me sound culturally insensitive, I'm not a cultural relativist. A student doesn't hand in homework, he gets zero. He tells you he handed it in, he should get 100. His parents say he handed it in, he should get 100. Administration tells you he should get 100 whether he handed it in or not. Every single student yelling at you about nothing, dozens of parents yelling at you, admin yelling at you. The sunshine and culture of Egypt can only buy so much. I like being a teacher, not an inputer of good grades for little pharaohs.

Also, I thought living here would give me great opportunities to travel in the region. There is, but only Egypt Air can fly in/out of the country so it's limited. There are some direct routes to some European capitals. Other than that, it's Saudi Arabia some other Gulf cities and some North Africa capitals. the rest of Africa will take layovers. So will most of Asia and North America. Even with the other flights, it's a couple of times a week, not daily, so you might have to wait a few days. The Red Sea is close and nice, though. Like I said, living here is nice. That is not my complaint, I think most of the people I know here here like it here in general, but then run down the hall crying after every period at school.

But there are awesome kids here, I just think about them every morning while getting ready. But to me, it's not worth it. I would say okay to 1 year to a new teacher or someone wanting a change. But 2 years is probably too much mentally. Everyone I know here who started with me says they're just trying to get through the 2 years. Resume, money, family to visit, travel opportunities. Never for actual development or enjoyment.

20. NineInchSails

NineInchSails New commenter

Just to preempt a question that I heard from friends overseas:
    Q: Why do people stay there then?
    A1: Some people thrive in this environment. I have some family members who love yelling and conflict. If you watched 90s talk shows and thought, "Yes, this is what life is!" Then you will probably be okay here. It sounds like a joke, but some people really do love this type of environment whether they admit it or not.
    A2: One spouse gets a cushy role. I know lots of couples here where one has a real teaching role and hates it, and the other gets a secondary role and gets paid the same and loves it.
    A3: Luck of the draw. Hey, teach IB high school and you will get highly motivated kids. Teach the right mix of elementary and you will get a good group. I even have some good classes. But it's like expecting a flush on every hand of poker.