1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Education in BC, Canada

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by yoho, Jan 24, 2012.

1. There are no jobs in Canada, let alone BC. I repeat, there are no jobs in Canada.
    If you do a search, you will find numerous threads stating the same thing. Canadian teachers are moving to the UK/overseas looking for work.

2. What about youth work/classroom assistants?

3. Doubtful at best. I am a Brit who trained in BC, couldn't get a full time job, so am now an 'economic refugee' in Cairo.
    Your chances of finding teaching work in BC are pretty poor. I would consider changing your plans.
    If you search this forum for 'Canada BC' you'll find loads of threads from the last year. The overwhelming conclusion is don't bother.
    Do a search for the following websites; Apply to Education, Make a Future, Education Canada.

4. Thanks for the advice and websites. Did a search for TA and there was one (possible) position in all of BC!

I also came across these, I'll put them up in case they help any others:
    http://www.fsgv.ca/mainpages/employment/
    http://www.pcrs.ca/opportunities
    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/
    http://www.anhbc.org/employment.php

I was also told there is a demand
    for ESL teachers (to teach adults in private, local ESL schools) and
    early childhood educators/child care professionals. There
    are also teaching positions available at private education centers such
    as Sylvan Learning, Oxford, and Kumon.

Dubious?

5. Kumon and Sylvan pay about $13 an hour (7.50 pound) and I think you can only work 20 hours a week.
    The other jobs you were looking at will likely have at least 100 others applicants each, probably considerably more. Most applicants can interview locally and have the all improtant 'Canadian experience'. I'm not saying don't, but prepare for a rough and possibly poverty stricken ride. I stuck it out for eight years and left.
    My wife worked for the YWCA and she had friends working at Family Services. Jobs at both were highly competitive.
    Also in Canada, it's often not what you know, but who you know. There is a surprising amount of nepotism.

6. As the above posters have said, the employment situation is bleak, but I have seen it slowly improve recently. At my school in the interior of BC, we hired a new teacher who graduated in April. She went straight into a year-long temporary contract position starting last September. A few other graduates from her university cohort were able to do the same in other schools in my city. Such a sudden jump from graduation into lengthy temporary contracts was unimaginable just a few years ago. The regular route was for the new graduates to spend several years doing supply work on the TOC list. Teacher friends in other school districts have told me similar stories about an increasing intake of new teachers.

Also, it's important to know that the BCCT no longer exists. It has been replaced by the BC Ministry of Education Teacher Regulation Branch. However, I expect the requirements and procedures for teacher certification to be the same.

My advice is, if you really want to be a teacher in BC, then do the required coursework to get certification. However, if you don't have permission to work in Canada, expect a lengthy wait for the immigration process. You won't be eligible for a temporary work permit as there isn't a shortage of teachers in Canada. No school district will be able to get a LMO (Labour Market Opinion) or sponsor you, which would speed up the process. This leaves applying for permanent residence as a skilled worker, a process which can take several years to complete.

Once you get here look outside of Vancouver and the Lower Mainland for employment. The opportunities are greater elsewhere. Good luck!