1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Working in Eastern Europe?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by jofox27, Dec 3, 2018.

1. jofox27

jofox27 New commenter

Has anyone any first hand experience or advise on teaching in Eastern Europe?

I've read good things about Bulgaria, but what about Russia, Turkey, Poland or Georgia etc..?

What would be the best in terms of overall package offered by the school?
    Do state schools hire non-native teachers?
    Do schools/international schools in Eastern Europe offer similar packages to that in SE Asia? (Do they provide benefits such as housing allowance, travel allowance or settling in fee?)

Currently in China and trying to gauge the differences for next year.

No children and travelling with a partner who also teaches EAL/ESL.

Thanks for your guidance in advance.

2. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Right. I've got some experience and some contacts in the area, so I can give you some brief answers for now.

Russia is fine if you pick the right school. Even more so when you mention an EFL teacher partner. Teaching jobs aplenty, although your partner is unlikely to be paid anywhere near as well as you unless they work privately or find a job in an international school. However, you can get by on one salary if you're careful, so this is not necessarily an issue. Work Visas are a pain, everyone needs them to work officially. If you are not married, it might be easier for your partner to secure a job (and work visa) in advance.

Poland is not far off Russia in some ways, but is actually part of the EU, which makes a huge difference. Lifestyle feels easier, connections to the rest of the world feel closer. Choose carefully, some schools don't offer much above a local salary.

No personal experience of Georgia, but I know through the local grapevine that people enjoy living and working there a great deal. I am considering it for my next posting.

Ah, that old chestnut. Generally, Eastern Europe can be generous. Inside the EU you will get less (e.g. no health insurance, smaller flight allowance) and outside, you get more.

I'm sure they would love to, but the pay would be low and paperwork may be awkward for them. If you were already resident in that place, maybe.

See above. As a rule of thumb, the further east you venture, the better the packages tend to be from international schools. State schools will be unlikely to offer anything.

Sounds like, combined with your experience in China, that you could cope with an adventure into the less popular areas of Eastern Europe. Go for it!

Please PM me if you want more info.

3. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

It's really going to depend on your qualifications / experience / expectations. The best international schools have packages that are almost up there with the best asian schools. There is, however, a very wide range.

If you send a PM, I'll happily try to help.

4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

yasf likes this.
  5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

And also check out a smelly swamp-dwelling pachyderm.

6. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

There's a school in Georgia, and another in Bucharest, both advertising at the moment. Both would be ok to work in and we'll paid in comparison to cost of living, with saving potential.

7. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

I'm interested in working in Eastern Europe too. Would you recommend writing speculative applications to schools in countries where you are interested in working?

8. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Yes, and treat it as a proper job application by tailoring it to the school.

9. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

There are good options in the region. Good schools (often smaller than Asian counterparts) with good packages. Total pay is lower than Asia but cost of living is MUCH cheaper so savings potential can be similar. Packages include housing, flights, tuition, all the typical things. Painting with a broad brush here; read the fine print for each school and offer.